Soil type for acer

Discussion in 'Trees' started by spade, May 30, 2007.

1. spade

spade Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    could anyone please tell me is an acer acid loving or not, we have had ours in a big tub for about 4-5 years and it is growing well, but we cannot remember what type of soil we put it in, and we now want to plant it properly in the garden. [​IMG]

2. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Acers are actually happy enough in any except alkaline soil, although they do prefer soil which is slightly acid
    They will tolerate the sort of sun we get quite happily, but they do not like a lot of wind. They also NEED a well draining soil with a CONSTANT moisture content i.e. don't let them dry out and then give them a soaking [​IMG]
    If or sun gets too hot on an occasional day buy it an umbrella [​IMG]

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    This is my Acer at 25 years old.It grows in Ericaceous compost and is on it's 5th pot :cool:

[​IMG]

6. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I LOVE acers, that one's beautiful kandy..is it bloodgood?I'm so jealous!Imagine looking at that every day..

Mine's a crimson queen or maybe a inaba-shidare
    ..a tiny wee thing at the mo,just planted it in a raised bed next to my pond, (not in ericaceous compost though,just ordinary MP and top soil). It was in a container for years before now (Mr pods before I met him) and was slowly dying or so it seemed..now Im hoping it'll be resurrected and grow after I pruned out the dead wood
    We also have one about 2m tall, with pink tinged leaves..though Im not sure which it is

Good Luck spade!

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Peapod yes it is Acer Palmatum Bloodgood.We bought it two years after we were married and being a bit green put into the ground on clay.When it started dying we got a book from the library and read about the conditions to grow them in.As I say 25 years and five pots later this is what we have.When we moved here six years ago we bought it with us and because we don't know yet whether we shall be staying we have left in the pot.It gets quite difficult moving it around.

Each year it has little winged seed pods but they always drop off before they are ripe enough to harvest.When we come back from our two week holiday,I leave Mr Kandy to empty the car while I rush round the back to give it a good water,as I know it won't have been looked after like I look after it.

When the sun shines on the leaves it looks fantastic :cool:

8. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    That is some tree to have in a pot Kandy
    You have done well [​IMG]

9. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I have just got soaked measuring the pot.It is 21.5" across the top of the plastic pot and 15.5" across the base of the pot when it is tipped up.It was rolling around the garden last week when we had the gale force winds,but once the wind stops I just go out stand it back up and give it a good watering.That keeps it going.I don't even feed it.The top of the pot has two heathers growing in the compost and loads of moss which I am leaving becasue it makes a good effect. :cool:

The tree stands around 8ft tall but I only know the measuerments in old money not all this metric stuff [​IMG] :D

10. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my big acer, but I need help identifying it..anyone any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like Acer negundo or Box Elder.

12. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thamks digital :) I appreciate that :D I hate not knowing the proper names of my plants

13. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Peapod, DF is right in saying it is Acer negundo and the variety is Flamingo. David.

14. peapod

peapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks daithe..Ive just repotted it and pruned it as another thread shows and it looks great!The leaves are now coming out a lovely deep pink. Ive also noticed that its loving all the rain and know now to keep it very well watered

Take care

15. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Peapod .... take care to remove reverting leaves... my own tree reverted completely :(