1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Blade, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All
    I recently made 3 new flower beds , new soil , fertilizer etc , planted lots of plants and they have all taken very well , the problem i have is i have one large existing bed which i planted in too and those plants havnt done well at all , the soil is very stoney and chalky underneath , i was wondering if the is something i can put over this bed to make it more fertile and to make it look a bit nicer as the soil there is quite manky

Many Thanks

Blade

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Well, keep adding compost and manure to the "manky" soil and in time it will improve. I say "in time" as instantaneous change is possible but wouldn't last but one season and would cost a lot!! If you're soil is stony and chalky then you might have to do some research to see what plants will take those conditions and go for those.:biggrin:

3. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    Blade,

Why not throw some old seed of annuals over this area and see what comes through.
    This way you can see if there is potential in the ground for more trials with other plants instead of putting in plants. Hoping this will help you.

4. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    Nothing NEW under the Sun, the soil may be 3 - 4 million years old. (but I know what you mean)! Stones have been found to be good for moisture retention so don't meticulously remove them all. Cheers, Tony.

5. Blade

Blade Gardener

plasterer
    Ratings:
    +4
    muchus gracias amigos