1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solanum Laciniatum / Kangaroo Apple

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Kristen, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I've successfully grown some Solanum Laciniatum this year (pretty sure they were from seeds that PeterS kindly gave me). We've loved the leaf shape, and a handy Blue flower ... in my Blue border :)

I was planning to dig some up, and over winter them, to get bigger plants next year. Good idea?

I've also done a bit of reading, and I think I need some other varieties for next year ... any thoughts?

Solanum aviculare perhaps? Very similar, but narrower leaves I think?
    and people speak highly of Solanum quitoensis

And maybes:
    Solanum Hispidum
    Solanum Sisymbrifolium

2. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    what about Solanum rantonnetii ?
    [​IMG]
    another nice one (don`t laugh) Solanum melongena
    the aubergine
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Those standards look nice, but I don't think the Aubergine is special enough? I mean ... mine [in the greenhouse] don't grow very much or have interesting leaves - or am I missing something perhaps?

There were some nice Solanum in pots at East Ruston Old Vicarage. Not sure what they were?? but they were certainly big!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      [​IMG]
      Sal - I really appreciate your picture of S. rantonnetii. My own plant taken yesterday is pretty prostrate. I hadn't realised you could turn it into a standard - which looks even nicer. Its a good plant though.

Kristen - I am glad your S. laciniatum turned out well. Mine was very poor this year because of the cold. I did try to overwinter it in the past - but it wasn't a sucess. I suspect its better from seed.

I have also grown S. sisymbriifolium. It was very spiney and rather weedy - but it grew to 6 or 7 feet or more. However I decided S. lactiniatum was the nicer. I have also grown S. mammosum - also known as titty fruit. It had lots of fruit but no titties :biggrin: . Although the packet said mammosum, I think it was laciniatum.

S. crispum, of course, is a really nice plant. I gather 'Glasnevin' is the one to get as it flowers better and is hardier than the species. But being hardy, it isn't exactly tropical.

If you want a big one there is S. macranthum also known as S. wrightii. I don't know it - only seen pictures. I have just found seeds on http://taste.ecrater.com/p/5840749/solanum-macranthum-15-seeds-giant-star I have bought seeds from them before - so might even have a go myself. Could this be the one in your picture?

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Taste-y Crater DotCom - is that as tongue-in-cheek as I think it is?!!

The leaves in the my photo look to be plain ovals; I can't remember if the plant had any more fancy-shaped leaves, but I don't think so, so not sure its macranthum ... but either way IWOOT !!

There was a plant in one of the show greenhouses at Urban Jungle last year. I admired the leaf at the time, but it wasn't in flower and I didn't put 2-&-2 together ... but I reckon that is Solanum, possibly even Laciniatum ??, but its a monster!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          I was really looking at the size rather than leaf shape. S. macranthum might be interesting as its big but also appears to be fairly dense, as opposed to lactinatum which is very lanky and see through.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          They had some variegated ones, as standards, at East Ruston ... not a very good picture, I'm afraid

[​IMG]

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,998
          Kristen what about one of this
          [​IMG]
          is that impressive enough?

another one on my growing list for next year is (again)
          cyphomandra corymbiflora the hardy tomato tree.
          [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2