1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solar / other type of mosquito killer

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Claire75, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed loads of mosquitoes in my garden tonight ALREADY! They really bother me so I was wondering about getting a solar mosquito killer - wondered if anyone has any experience of these, in particular how effective they are and over what range? Or other ways of keeping the wretched things at bay? I've found boots insect repellent works well but don't really want to be putting that on every time i'm out in the garden at dusk.
    I've just built a pond and am hoping that's not going to exacerbate the problem too much - hopefully something that eats the larvae will move in soon!

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    Some research that has been done suggests that mosquitos don't like the smell of Marmite. Apparently, their sense of smell is so great that if you eat Marmite they can smell it through the pores of your skin and should keep away. Conversely, they appear to like the smell of bananas so don't eat them. Leave those for Bananaman to eat.

Good luck

--------------
    shiney

3. Trux

Trux Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When I was working in Texas, we had mossies the size of starlings (well, very very small starlings) I was told that they are attracted to humans by perspiration (ours, not theirs) so anything that could reduce that would help. I surely do not mean to be indelicate so apologies if anyone takes offence.

There is another old remedy, originating in Norfolk. If you cover yourself with a mixture of saffron and cow dung, that helps. Apparently.

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    Trux, That'll certainly keep most things away!!! :D :D

-------------
    shiney

5. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!
    Well, I like the idea of the marmite the most, love the stuff! Pity about the bananas though. Saffron and cow-dung I have to admit would be a last resort, although I got bitten so badly last summer that would probably have done almost anything to get rid of the horrid things.
    Thanks for the suggestions, please if you have any others do add them.

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Claire,some people swear by Jungle Juice which is in a spray cannister that you can buy.We always take some to use when the midges are about in Scotland,but we still manage to miss a spot which they and their teeth always find :D :D

7. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Try eating garlic.It keeps Humans and Vampires away so might have the same effect on Mosquitoes :D :D

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  9. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hehehe - super article dendrobium!

We do a lot of camping, and our scout group has a supply of Avon's skin so soft. It works - to a certain extent. I have tried virtually everything available - and the only thing that tryly works is a midgie net. They're not the most attractive of accessories, but if you get to the point with midgies, where you really don't care!!!

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    We use Avon SSS and find it works as well as the rather nasty DEET based repellents. I've also got a wrist watch than can be set to emit a high frequency buzz (barely audible to humans) which is supposed to deter mozzies and Mrs W has a similar gadget that she can clip on or hang round her neck.

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    We haven't found the SSS does much..... we tend to go for the hats and nets option when it's seriously bad. Brother-in-law does some work with the forestry commission in Argyll at times, and says that there are times when the midges are so bad they have to down tools - it's just impossible to work with chainsaws :eek:

12. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    not only I hate mosquitoes buzzing, but also they bite me immediately and I have quite noticeable reaction to that!
    I think that the best option is to keep them away alltogether from the area concerned, by means of insect nets. I know that they don't like smoke . There are also some special lamps that attracts insects and then "cook" them as they set foot on them and are used sometimes in restaurants kitchen.

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Mosquitoes are not attracted to perspiration its co2 given off as you exhale some people give off more and especially if you are exerting yourself you then they become more attracted to you,somethings help repel them anything that masks the co2 , deet,citonella, garlic,campfire smoke but not tried saffron-cow dung or marmite

14. Trux

Trux Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Walnut, you are right. It is CO2. My memory is not what it used to be. Who am I, by the way?