Solar powered water pump

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by K78, Jun 22, 2019.

1. K78

K78 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    404D95BD-D05C-495A-9A43-C0CB0B09ECFF.jpeg Im guessing solar powered water pumps are a waste of time?

I want to build a waterfall feature in this corner.

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    Hi k78 i dont think they are a waste of time its up to an individual choice and what you wont electric or solar
    Water pumps with solar energy are likely to move smaller quantities of water over a long period of time compared to traditional AC powered pumps.
    i too am thinking of creating a water feature and for me i amlooking a solar

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I've always considered that half the pleasure of a waterfall is the sound of the water.
    Also the effect of light shining on it on a warm summer evening.

I've never been a fan of solar powered anything in the garden other than lights.

Before we filled in our koi pool this was our waterfall. It was powered by the filter pump in the pump sump, the top of which you can see in the bottom right-hand corner. It was fed by a valved 1" pipe on a bypass from the supply to the filter in the garage. The distance it had to travel was about nine feet. The head height was only a couple of feet. The flow rate was adequate for me, but hardly impressive. The 240v pump was rated at 13,000 litrs per hour.

P1060035.JPG