Solicitors letters.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jazmine, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +549
    Does anyone know how much it costs to send a solicitors letter these days? Has anyone ever sent one-did it do any good?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    I have in the past & yes it did have the right effect, but not everyone is so lucky.. It it is likely to cost you 1/2 hr anything from say £80 - £150 sometimes it depends on what the letter is about.. If it is to do with money this could be a help.. https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

A lot of solicitors do a free phone consultation first, for you to get advice have you tried that.?

3. Salamander

Salamander Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Yes and the threat of legal action normally makes people do what needs done. It cost about £40 per letter but really does depend on what you want to action, how much info you give etc. Make sure that you cover all you can before going to them to cut down on their time. can you give us general info on why you need a solicitors letter?

4. Fat Boy

Fat Boy Guest

Ratings:
    +36
    It cost me £200. And the effect depends on the person getting it. An old friend once said to me that a warning from the Queen wouldn't faze her and that a letter from a solicitor has the same weight as a child writing the same letter. Only a direction from a Judge would move her. So it depends on the person getting the letter and how they view it or know its actual worth as an instruction or order.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
      +549
      Marley thanks for the link - I will look that up and see what it has to say. I'm glad you had success, it's good to hear a success story.

Fatboy, some people wouldn't be fazed but at least it would show you mean business. I am just exploring my options and it is so useful to hear from others who have been down this route.

Salamander thanks for your help too although I don't think the person involved would listen to anything but it gets to a point where something has to be done. I would much rather do things the correct way - not sure what you mean when you say "make sure you cover all you can?" before going to the solicitor?

Apparently this person is taking me and some others to court (just awaiting to hear a date) for harrassment and a load of other nonsense but I am fed up with being accused of stuff I have not done. I have had a threatening message via facebook ( telling me how useful it is that this person has my address) I have seen very nasty, abusive, threatening messages to others citing my name, my forum names too.

Any other advice would be gratefully received thanks.

• Fat Boy

Fat Boy Guest

Ratings:
      +36
      Take a screen shot of the Facebook page for evidence.
      Given your outline, I'd suggest this person is not going to be bothered by a Sols letter as this person is (apparently) going straight to court. If the court papers are not processed (ie this person is bluffing) then think about a Sols letter esp with the Facebook evidence.
      If you do go to court a Sols letter is not going to count for very much, other than your exasperation and the Magistrate/Judge has overall power and will decide after hearing your side of the story - Sols letter or not.
      Keep your money for now - build your evidence. If Court happens present it there with your Sol - if court does not happen then think about a Cease and Desist letter from your Sol. You may also decide on a Sols letter from the Citizens Advice Bureau which carries as much weight but less costly.

• Salamander

Salamander Gardener

Ratings:
      +26
      Difficult. We resorted to solicitor letters to make people pay for maintenance on our flats as per the deeds. I had all the info for the solicitor to read before going, so saving their time in investigating and therefore that reduced costs.

Threatening and abusive messages will fall to the police to investigate and charge appropriately, in my opinion, so perhaps a solicitor is not needed, just a print out of the messages and a trip to the local police station. Threatening messages are not acceptable and is illegal, here is a good link for the law on around this:

http://www.respectme.org.uk/Cyberbullying-and-the-law.html

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Boy

Fat Boy Guest

Ratings:
        +36
        Just be aware, also, that getting the Police in also escalates matters for all parties.

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Crumbs so sorry to hear about this Jazmine especially after you were telling us about your health problems and hope that you can get it resolved quiet quickly...

I was going to suggest the Citizens Advice Bureau for advice but FB has beaten me to it...

Good luck with it all:smile:

• Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
        +549
        Some really great advice there from everyone. I hadn't thought of Citizens Advice - we have one here in town. May be worth a visit.
        As regards evidence, I have plenty of screenshots and have kept all messages. I can't say too much for obvious reasons but am pleased to have so much advice. Thanks all :)

Kandy - thanks for the kind words. I am getting used to a fat solid uncomfortable leg but wish it could be "repaired" - you never know what is around the corner, make the most of every day :spinning:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,123
        Jazmine as it is that problem then I would also try for a "free advice" session.. Have you informed the police about the facebook threats as they have a dept for that sort of stuff..!!! What ever you do make sure you have the letter of the law on your side.. Sometimes these sorts of people can be a little unbalanced...

• Like Like x 1
        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,389
          Of course it would help a lot if you could describe exactly what happened.
          Assuming it is something that happened on Facebook, surelly the best step is to start with the Facebook reporting procedure and go from there.
          I don't see a letter from a solicitor making a relevant difference unless it is material goods or material disputes for a worthy amount of money compared to the cost of the letter.

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,594
          Personally, without knowing all the details, I'm inclined to think I'd take the stance of:

1) Reporting their posts on Facebook
          2) Tell this individual that you are sorry they feel they need to involve the courts, and your and their friends in their personal grievance, but as you feel you have done nothing wrong, and it is they that are making an issue of it, you welcome the opportunity to resolve the matter in court, but to bear in mind that when the court rules in your favour, you will of course have to recover your costs, which they will have to pay.

• Like Like x 1
          • FatBoy

FatBoy Guest

Ratings:
            +36
            From what I gather the threat was vague "we know where you live" or "we know what to do with your address" is as much as what is divulged here so far. If it was anything more serious, ie, "you will die", "we will arrange for your killing" then it's not just Facebook and the Police but also the offender's ISP who also has a duty over this. Ultimately a serious threat over the 'net could result in a criminal and civil prosecution, facebook account deletion, ISP banning among other punitive measures. I appreciate the OP has been careful about the info released and so there may well be more to it than meets the eye.

Confronting the offender usually leads to further allegations, mess and confusion. It is already clear the offender has the idea to go "all the way" to court (whether bluffing or not) and so will use any opportunity to allege any event in their favour.

Play it cool, play it according to proper advice. It's time to go to CAB.

• Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
            +549
            Some really good advice here, it's good to hear different opinions.
            No it is not only facebook, yes IP was reported a while back, facebook have been informed and yes there is a LOT more to this but I cannot go into details. Marley you hit the nail on the head :mad:
            I have ignored this problem by blocking email addresses, face book (although the person got round this by opening a second account which was used to message from) and several reports have been made to various places. I think I will go down the CAB route first, presumably they will help me if they deem a letter is necessary. Once again thank you everyone.

• Like Like x 1