1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Some bulbous plant questions

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by H.E. Pennypacker, Oct 13, 2011.

1. H.E. Pennypacker

H.E. Pennypacker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Some bulbous plant questions [Brunsvigia, Crinum, Clivia, Boophane]

Hey, I've got a couple of questions regarding some bulbous plants I've been wanting to order.

First of all, I've been offered a Brunsvigia radulosa bulb which is estimated at 20+ years old. Should I take it? Because I have absolutely no idea how old these guys can get. I don't want to buy it and then only a few years later have it die on me because of old age. Cannot find virtually anything on the lifespan on the brunsvigia's online, only when they're going to be of flowering age, which this one obviously is, but that's besides the point.

Also, I've got a crinum bulbispermum, clivia miniata and a boophane disticha (eastern cape form, wavy leaves) in the mail from SA, I'm curious if these can be overwintered in a cold greenhouse in zone 8, the Netherlands. They're advertised as very hardy, but that's for South African standards, I have no idea if they'll survive a European winter.

Any thoughts and or experiences people have with one or all of these bulbous plants?

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,549
    Hi H.E.,

Welcome to Gardeners Corner. :)

Sorry I can't help you on this one and it also looks like nobody else can at the moment. Don't give up on us though, somebody might come up with something. :WINK1:

3. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I would google the minimum temperature for each of them and go from there. Then I would err on the side of caution just to be sure. I hate losing plants especially if there is something I can do to prevent that happening. Our winter last year was particularly bad and many people lost plants that had previously been just fine. I shall be doing more in the way of protecting mine this year just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
      +21,676
      Drop a line to the RHS, they should be able to help.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      Hi Crinum can take a Welsh winter but mine are kept in the green house and the soil bone dry I suspect turn to mush just left out and even in a cold greenhose with the past winter we had not all came through , Clivia would need the warmth of the house and brunsvirgia I havnt a clue

Hope this helps with part of the jigsaw

Spruce

• H.E. Pennypacker

Ratings:
      +0
      ^ That does help a little Spruce, thanks. :)

I'm not giving up on you guys yet Sheal! :D
      Hehe, that's what I always do, but I get pretty diverse information back. I'd thought I'd ask for some definitive answers from people with personal experience with these overhere, but I guess they aren't all too common gardening subjects. :)

Some info I've already gathered from random googling "the species name + hardiness":

Crinum bulbispermum:
      Pacific Bulb Society | Crinum Species One

Davesgarden says:
      PlantFiles: Detailed information on Hardy Swamplily, Deep Sea Lily, Orange River Lily Crinum bulbispermum

Crinum

Clivia miniata:
      Clivia miniata

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Bush Lily, Clivia Lily, St. John's Lily, Boslelie, Fire Lily Clivia miniata

Pacific Bulb Society | Clivia

Clivia Care and Culture

Boophane Disticha:
      Boophane disticha

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Bushman Poison Boophone disticha

Pacific Bulb Society | Boophone

Brunsvigia radulosa:
      PlantFiles: Detailed information on Candelabra Flower Brunsvigia radulosa

Pacific Bulb Society | Brunsvigia Four

Not much from here really:
      Brunsvigia radulosa

I guess the safe thing to say is that they should be moved to the closed veranda (which is not there yet, lol) during winter, apart from perhaps the C. bulbispermum. I was hoping to put some of them in the full ground at least for ease; also because of their poisonous nature, my cat likes to attack the potted plants on occasion.

Loofah, RHS as in Royal Holticultural Society? Thanks for the tip. Just ask on the forums overthere you mean? Or is there someone in specific I should contact?

• Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
      Ratings:
      +1,337
      Just bumping this for H.E. Pennypacker as his last post was moderated by the system by mistake:thumbsup:

• H.E. Pennypacker

Ratings:
      +0
      That doesn't mean it's gone though, I hope? It was a pretty lengthy one, don't know if I can muster up the strength to re-do it. :D

edit: nevermind this post! lol