1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Some greenhouse questions

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by LettuceG, Jun 6, 2020.

1. LettuceG

LettuceG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, newbie here. I’m thinking of buying a greenhouse but have a few questions/concerns. My garden is south facing and gets lots of sun but is high up so gets lots of wind. The only area I can put a greenhouse is on decking at back of garden. This decking is built on a graduated frame about 14ft high at highest point (garden had a steep slope so this levelled it up) My husband thinks moisture and humidity from greenhouse would get into the deck frame and rot it, is this likely to happen? Also a neighbour had a polycarbonate greenhouse at one point and the noise it made in wind was deafening. It lasted less than a year before wind destroyed it so I was thinking of a toughened glass one. Are all polycarbonate greenhouses noisy in wind even the ones designed to be sturdier against wind? Are glass greenhouses more likely to withstand wind? Any advice welcomed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,045
    Welcome to the forum @LettuceG

You do have some unusual issues there. My garden is on a hillside and pretty windy, I have had some problems with high winds and glass panes blown out of my greenhouse - very rarely maybe twice in 10 years. I replaced one pane with an acrylic sheet and this pane regularly blows out so really I should have glass when I get round to it.

Your choice of toughened glass sounds wise.

When the wind whips over a greenhouse it creates uplift like an aeroplane wing and can lift them up and away. My greenhouse has a steel base which is fastened into the ground with long metal spikes, yours would need screwing securely to the decking, but what is holding the decking down, presumably just gravity? You may have to consider a way of anchoring the lot down.

I am unsure about the moisture aspect, presumably you will grow in pots and/containers. These could be on big saucers to catch any overflow but there is obviously risk of seepage into the wood. It depends on what you grow on how humid you want your ghouse. You could have a moisture barrier such a UV stabilised plastic sheet and provided there was ventilation under the decking that might be OK.

3. LettuceG

LettuceG Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice. Sounds like glass is a better option in my circumstances. I hadn’t actually thought of the issue of wind lifting the decking if a greenhouse was screwed onto it so I’ll need to give that some thought too.

4. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Relocate the greenhouse.