Some help needed identifying plants in my new garden

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Novice_Maximus, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Novice_Maximus

Novice_Maximus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

As my user name suggests i am a complete novice when it comes to gardening and having just moved into our new house which has a good size garden with lots of plants im really struggling to identify them.

I have tried the plant identifier tool on the botanical keys website however i had no luck.. Although i do conced that is probably more down to my lack of knowledge, lol.

I do want to start to read up and learn about my plants, what positions they like, how to propagate, etc however in order to do that i think im probably going to need to know there names first and so if anyone can help i would be most grateful.

I did take a lot of pictures however i have only listed a few on here as i really didnt want to overload my first proper post on here.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

1 - This little beauty seems to be mainly growing out of and around our stone walls.

[​IMG]

2 - I love this plant, i think the leaves are fascinating

[​IMG]

3 - Again, i have no idea what this is but i suspect that it may be quite obvious and i will end up feeling a bit silly.

[​IMG]

4 - This one also fascinates me and is quite a reasonable size (about 3ft high)

[​IMG]

5 - This one seems to have spread all around the borders and bare ground, its only a few inches high.

[​IMG]

6 - My Bamboo which is quickly becoming my favourite... Ive been trying to read up on bamboo however i cant seem to identify the species. I have included of the bamboo as i have read it can be quite hard to differentiate.

[​IMG]

Close up of the same clump of bamboo

[​IMG]

Smaller bamboo plants that have spread from the main clump.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any assistance that anyone can offer.

2. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I don't know about the others but 1. is a Companula of some kind and 5. is most likely London Pride Saxifraga x urbium

• Like Like x 1
    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Hi there;

No.1 looks like some form of creeping Campanula
      No.2 looks like a variegated form of Pachysandra or some form of variegated Daphne, could be either but I also could be completely wrong on both accounts :D
      No.5 I know as London's Pride

Hope this helps to start with :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        Agree with everyone else, 4 looks like a spirea possibly 'Goldflame'?

• Like Like x 1
        • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
          Ratings:
          +3,228
          • Like Like x 1
          • Novice_Maximus

Novice_Maximus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +0
            Hi Everyone, thanks for the info supplied so far... Its given me a whole night of subject matter to read up on which im quite excited about, lol.

Hi Silversurfer, thanks for the info; the pic was taken today, literally about 5 mins before i made my post on here, i hope that helps a little.

Obviously, if anyone one ever wants any clones (is that the right word, lol) as soon as i have learned a little more i will be happy to oblige. Again, im not sure as i dont yet know but i assume that would be done next spring... Actually, i think i may be trying to run before i can walk, lol.