Some ids and info plz

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Elina, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
    Ratings:
    +44
    @Silver surfer I have some beautiful plants in other parts of the house which I like to move on the edges of the pond, can I move them in this season? Or whats the best time or season for moving them. And how much I dig down to get there rootball safely out of the ground? Plants are:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know there names also.

20170620_210603_001.jpg 20170620_205501.jpg

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,707
    That's a lot of photos! I'll ID what I can below and hopefully others will be along to help. I will add that this is not the best time of year for moving established plants, while they are growing actively - not to mention it being so hot and dry at the moment. If you MUST do it now take as much of the earth round the roots as possible and be prepared to do a heck of a lot of watering for the rest of the summer.

Herbaceous perennials like these I find do best being moved in early spring, just as they are starting into growth. You will also find that some of the clumps can then be divided up, giving you extra plants.

[​IMG]

yucca

[​IMG]
    Sisyrinchium striatum - will be a good candidate for division

[​IMG]
    Antirrhinum (snapdragon) flowering at the back - theoretically a perennial but I think usually pretty shortlived, so maybe not worth moving. (Hopefully others can advise.) The spires of bell-like flowers are foxgloves (digitalis), which is a biennial so will die down after flowering but hopefully seed itself. The strappy leaves are I think crocosmia, which grows from corms - beware, I split some of mine this spring because they looked congested but now they are sulking and I think may not flower this year. Evidently they preferred being crowded!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    On the left - not sure, maybe a day lily (hemerocallis) or agapanthus (Nile lily). Hopefully it will have some flowers soon and then it will be easier to identify!

On the right - a fern. Maybe matteuccia struthiopteris (shuttlecock fern)?

[​IMG]
    Bergenia (foreground), another fern and something else I can't identify in the background.

The pond picture doesn't show up for some reason but you have at least one water lily and, by the look of it, lots of duckweed (the cress-like stuff). Plus a big clump of some grass or sedge in the corner.

The RHS 'plant finder' will have more information about all these plants if you type in the names
    Find advice & tips on garden & indoor plants | Plant finder & selector / RHS Gardening

and hopefully others will be along with more information for you too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Elina

Elina Gardener

Part time CEO, full time house manager/maid x Mum
      Ratings:
      +44
      @Clare G the reply is v.informative I guess I'll wait mean while i can plan the placements of these plants, is the same ruling true for established shrubs, hedges & trees to wait till May to move them?

• Like Like x 1
      • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,707
        I like to move shrubs and trees and also plant new bare-root ones in the autumn, say late October/November - that gives them time to get their roots re-established before they need to start growing again. But again, take a look at this advice from the RHS which gives you a wider timeframe, especially for deciduous ones (move any time they're dormant, basically, evergreens either just as they're going to sleep or waking up again):
        Tree and shrubs: moving plants/RHS Gardening

Good luck with all your moving around!