1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Some plants in my garden that i need to prune back but not sure how or when to prune them

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Passport1, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    I have a number of plants like the following in my Garden

What is the name of these plants?

They have got quite large in size and width and are taking over lot of space in the beds and their branches/stalks are crowding over/in on other plants and blocking their light

Can you prune/cut back these plants

If so, how do you prune/cut them back

What time of year do you prune these in

In winter months will they stay like they are now or die off over winter and then bloom again next year ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    They are grasses of varying types, in spring you will start to see new growth, comb through the old growth with your hands, that will remove most of the dead stems.

3. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    I agree with Pam , but if you want to give a good haircut wait until it starts into growth early next spring

4. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks
    So cutting them back now or combing through the old growth with your hands, that will remove most of the dead stems now isn't a good idea?

I was just going to take a pruning shears and just cut it near the base now - I take it that wouldn't be a good idea and I should leave it as it is until the spring

Will this die off over the winter or stay same size and consistency?

Thanks

5. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi
    As Pam said comb through now , but I would suggest put some gloves on and the loose dead stuff will easily come out and make them a lot better looking , grasses like the ones you have can be fussy and cutting hard down now they may die off over the winter the stalks help protect the crown of the plant from frost/snow etc you can also split the plants ONLY in spring if you want to have some more pots or reduce the size of the plant , never do this in the Autumn or winter they will sulk and die 99% of the time .

Spruce

• Agree Agree x 1