1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

something different

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by pete, Feb 11, 2005.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    why not try something a bit different in the greenhouse this year. How about Physalis sometimes called cape gooseberry. Its related to chinese lanterns and can sometimes be seen in supermarkets.
    Its pretty easy to grow although it can get tall and spreading. Needs to get off to an early start if their going to ripen. I start them off in the greenhouse and later plant outside as they tend to get tall if grown inside all summer.
    Ihave grown them for some years now and they tend to self sow on my allotment, but they are not a problem. Does anyone out there grow these as well?

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, have grown them last year outside after early indoor start. Very prolific and delicious!

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    Skrumpy
    Would you say the summers are warmer down there, than they are here on the main land? :cool:

4. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not too different from SW England but on the whole I would say a couple of degrees warmer throughout the year. Having said that, in the past couple of years we've posted periods of high 90's in the summer and well below freezing in the winter. Plenty of rain in the spring and autumn though which makes it ideal for the veggies. My soil is a light sandy loam and after the clay of Somerset is a real pleasure to work.

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    Its been fairly mild and dry up to now this year here in Kent. But spring frosts are always a problem and we've got a while to go yet. However things do seem to be warming up in general. Which I like because it gives me the chance to grow plants not normally possible in our latitudes
    pete.

6. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Agree about general warming giving greater choice. My problems have been adapting to the different varieties of popular veggies over here as many of the UK varieties tend to bolt and go to seed early as they are produced for a slightly cooler climate. After mixed success with UK mail order seeds (because I was used to them) I am now using french seeds exclusively - apart from runner beans of course which they don't appear to use. Are you trying anything new this year?

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    Not really got anything in mind at the moment. Would be interested if you have ideas such as is grown in France which might be suitable over here.
    Never tried sugar pod peas might try those.
    pete

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,599
    Skrumpy
    You could try those Kenya beans, very dwarf thin bean. I tried them last year and got the impression they would like a warmer slightly wetter summer. Just a thought.

9. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pete - did them last year and was swamped by them...still got half a freezer full and the neighbours were sick to death of them by September. Think it was a case of "Quick, hide... here comes that English chap with more of those bloody beans!" Found them really easy to germinate, grow and cultivate. Dug in plenty of home made compost,kept their feet moist and in a relatively short period of time was picking and picking and picking...... Runners also brilliant but broad beans a total disaster (all UK seed). Will be doing my seed shopping here next week so will be on the look out for "a challenge".

10. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    ohhh Skrumpy.....I love beans all types, my most fav. are the Sugar snaps not good croppers in UK I found...suffer from late cold nights and are ready in June,atleast we did back home. Love french / runner beans, not keen on broad beans. But sadly given my spare alottment to my animals now. I tried to grow some french beans in deep tubs last year, not the same at all, then the peacock took a liking to them , just when they were nearly ready for picking, lol so let him have the rest, same with peppers he went round in early morning checking which ones turn colour and then tested some, I wondered if they were nibbled by slugs lol... till one day actually saw him. So another meal for his tribe, his wife Petra and 4 young.

11. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ladybird - I have a recipe for French Beans.....with peacock (only joking)!

12. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Skrumpy let me have it lol
    Ladybird

13. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry Ladybird, that failed hairdresser, come cook, Delilah Smiff has copywrite.....and after what she did to Samson I'm loathe to put it in print. She's very handy with her shears y'know and I'd hate her to get amongst my brassicas!!

14. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Never mind Skrumpy try another one ! lol.

15. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody grown Peanut ? I did long time ago, makes lovely foliage plants, but then die back in Autumn.....however tried again just few years ago and actually got peanuts, never realised till I put the pot in greenhouse, emtying compost in a bin, lots of peanuts on runners. No wonder they call them 'ground nut' lol. This only took 3 months from sowing. Must have another go,got them in wild bird food last time. The chipmonks loved them.