Something has turned over my new raised sown bed :(

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NewbieGreen, May 14, 2009.

1. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So i've sown into a new raised bed at the weekend (1.8x0.6m sq), and this morning, a quarter has been turned over, and all the string between bamboo sticks has all slacked up. Who would do this? Is it squirrel, cat or bird behaviour? We have all locally. Its a new built raised bed, so has that made them curious? Would string threaded across the top stop them? My current string has become all loose which ran across my sow lines.

Any help most appreciated people. This is my first year mass growing out side, apart from last years awesome tomatoes :)

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Or fox. Any of those you mention could have done it.

3. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, i meant to add that to my list. I've just seen a fox lately this month. What can be done to prevent this?

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    If it is a fox, not much, apart from strengthening your defenses (better fences!). But foxes can climb - sorry!

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have two cats who love nothing better than the scratch around any new seed beds.

I have combatted this by using a plastic coated metal mesh-just laid flat on top of the soil, quite a large one ( grade?? don't know the correct term) but the seedlings can quite easily grow up through the mesh whilst it stops the cats from scratching around.

I imagine this would work with foxes too.

The mesh also helps marking the bed into grids.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I net my beds Newbiegreen.
    It keeps off the peskie cats, pigeons, sparrows and foxes.

7. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks i think its a cat given the presents is been leaving in it for the past couple of days. I'm off to get netting i think. I might build a netted lid.