1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Somethings chomping my Anemones

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ben01, Apr 4, 2012.

1. ben01

ben01 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi All,

just wanted to get your thoughts on what's eating my Anemones. I've never had this problem before and every flowerhead is turning out the same. Not sure if it's slugs, as I have slug bait down. Any ideas?

PICT6717.JPG

2. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Unsure what
    the specific problem is, but if you have slug issues then I prefer the Blue Slug pellets to the "sweep ups" that is sold as Slug bait. It was a waste of time when I tried it. The pellets are far more effective.

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I have the same with Huechera, and it's not snails/slugs as I have been using the blue pellets from mid february

Earlier this week, I used Provado Vine Weevil killer (as I read some people were reporting vine weevils, and they are known to favour Heuchera) .... label says to use it 3 times a year

I also bought the normal provado bug spray and will use that from monday ...

4. ben01

ben01 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Dim, I will try the provado vine weevil killer and see if that works. Like yourself I use the blue pellets and have done for some time now. I also have Huecheras in my garden but they are all fine.

It just my anemones that this 'bug' seems to like. It like it keeps eating the centre black cone but leaving the flower which is very odd. But I will give the spray a go and see if the problem stops.

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    check google if vine weevil are attracted to anemones .... they normally start on the roots first

if not, perhaps the provado normal spray (Provado Ultimate bug killer) may be your best option?

6. ben01

ben01 Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    i just went outside to inspect under the cover of darkness to find a huge beige caterpillar like bug it was very long. I prompty disposed of it, but I assume that has been the problem. I found another very small one on the other side of my garden on the same plant, so I assume this caterpillar thing likes anenomes so will have to be extra vigillant in the nights from now on.

It a bit too wet out at the moment to go spraying the plants, so hand picking will have to do for now. Thanks for everyone who has posted appreciate all feed back. Happy gardening all :)