1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sorbaria Sem

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by dinp, May 14, 2013.

1. dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all. Last yer about this time my attention was drawn to very nice looking plant in the garden centre. Sorboria Sem. It looked different and very pretty. I planted this, and this year it has gown to be a very nice looking shrub. Today I was in the garden to inspect my pond ( which is in a much better state thanks to some help from readers here) and observed that it is in great shape and grown really well. One thing troubled me though. It seems new plants have emerged close to the main plant. Initially I thought it was stems fallen aside, but its actually the same plant rooted nearby under bark chip. I really didnt think this would happen as I had only allocated a certain amount of space for it in a narrow border. I did some research and found that this is called suckering. Anyone able to advise on how to deal with this? Much of my research into how to deal with it relates to people who have grown this plant in the USA. Should I just remove before they become really established. If this was to carry on, I suspect it could spread quite a lot, which I dont really want. Could I remove one or two of these really nice looking plants and grow in a large pot? Would it be best to remove the whole plant. For a plant that was actually quite expensive, its multiplied with ease and this is not what I actually wanted.
    Thank you.

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    It's no big problem. Just cut through where the sucker/s are attached to the main plant and then dig up the sucker. You can then either discard the sucker or replant in another location. If replanting make sure to keep it well watered until established. I grew this plant in a previous garden and it does have a habit of suckering. I too don't understand why it would be expensive to buy as it's pretty vigerous.

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    I have about a dozen of the 'suckers' growing on in pots that I removed from the original plant that I bought, which is in a large container at my mum's house. That plant has been in its container for about 10 years now and its still very healthy, so yes they can be grown in containers :dbgrtmb:

If you want to remove a sucker to grow-on, just scrape away some soil and find an area to cut it away from the parent plant that will ensure it has some of its own roots :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      It is a nice plant, isn't it?

Erm, you could try selling the spares to GC members!

• ballistic_bro

ballistic_bro Gardener

IT
      Ratings:
      +241
      I picked one of those up a few years ago @ a castle garden in Scotland and it has started to do the same. I think I might take a few suckers off and grow them on.:)

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Somebody has their spare suckers on Ebay. Seems like an easy way of making a few bob.

• dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Hi again. Thanks for the info, everyone. It was much easier than I expected. Being a novice, I sometimes panic when I see something I didnt expect . I removed several of these new plants and have replanted them in different locations in my garden, and a few in pots to give away to friends. Hopefully they will grow to be like the plant they came off.

• Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith Apprentice Gardener

Retired.
      Ratings:
      +3
      Hi. Joined yesterday - my first post. I had the same experience with the Sorbaria and have now planted it in a large container where it is doing and looking very well under a Rhododendron now in flower. If I can work out how I could send a pic.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

You can click on the Upload a file button to post a pic straight from your album (just follow the prompts) or copy a pic from an online host such as Photobucket:)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I bought a Sorboria Sem last Autumn and am about to plant it out. I think I read that you can "stool" it to encourage vigorous growth and plenty of impressive foliage?

• dinp

dinp Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Hi again. Anyone have an idea why the plants I have planted that came from the main plant have wilted a little? The new plants had decent roots. I used bonemeal and watered quite a bit. I dont think they are dead, but not as upright as when they were attached to the main plant. Could I have over watered? Thank you all.