1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

south facing greenhouse windows

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Horsham Del, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Horsham Del

Horsham Del Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, not sure if anybody can suggest anything here, but it's worth a try.

There's a large greenhouse where I work, used just for plant display purposes (no growing done) Now, two sides are shielded, the roof's opaque, but I've a large North, and south facing area. I'm looking at ways of shielding some of the sun in the south facing window, and i was wondering if there are any climbers/trailers that could be used instead of just using the usual methods of shading.

So, basically, can anybody suggest a decent trailing/climbing plant, ideally that'll grow 2-4M and wont burn to a crisp under south facing glass? I'm not optimistic, but if there is one, I'm sure somebody here will know it.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I think I'd try some of the more tropical passion flowers, but as you probably know they would need to be a fair distance from the actual glass, with good ventilation between the foliage and the glass.
    If the winter temperatures in the greenhouse are reasonable it would be a good chance to try some of the less common ones.
    My favourite is alata, but I've always wanted to get coccinea to flower, or how about racemosa.