sowing a second batch of carrots and shallots

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Greg C, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Greg C

Greg C Gardener

Ratings:
    +44
    My carrots and red onion and shallots are taking an age to mature. I was hoping to pick a crop and then sow more so I can have more before winter. If I sow in the next 14 days will they grow or have I missed the boat? I have a cold frame lid I put over the seeds to help them along (I am in Scotland so lots of wet weather about). It's my first year growing veg :)

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Shot down last time I suggested something similar but I would not sow carrots right now. :)

I grow from early spring to early summer to produce sweet tasting carrots through to early November. For the winter I prefer to buy them

Shallots? Buy sets for planting in the autumn:)

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    I have a 3 varieties of carrots growing outside, Autumn King, Berlicum and Purple haze I think its called, these are standard sized carrots and I would not sow these now. But I do sow the much smaller Chantenay carrots in the Polytunnel now for over winter.. I'll also be sowing some more ishikura bunching onions too, planted in clumps. I have some spare leek plants that I have not planted outside, they will go in, in the tunnel too for an onion family harvest through winter Greg.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Greg C

Greg C Gardener

Ratings:
      +44
      Thank you Verdun. I thought this may be the case. Unfortunately we've had such a poor summer in Glasgow that my carrots have taken nearly 4 months and are still only 2-3 inches in length. Even my onions and shallots are 4 months in and quite small. Oh well, you live and learn. Next year I may grow them under the cold frame a bit longer.

• Greg C

Greg C Gardener

Ratings:
      +44
      Thanks Steve, this is good to know. Maybe I'll plan better for next year and try get things started a little earlier too. It's my first year growing veg so a lot of trial and error.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      I've been growing veg for years and although there is a standard "method" for everything, I still like to utilise "trial and error" too. This adds to your experience year on year, every day is a school day!

Good luck.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1