1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sowing cornflowers seeds now (September)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Found this link on The Guardian website a week or so ago that suggests sowing cornflower seeds now.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/11/cornflowers-hardy-annual-seeds-gardens

From reading, it suggests that this will produce stronger, hardier plants that will bloom earlier next year.

Worth a try maybe? I've bought the seeds already (they were the ones that cost me 1pence at Wilkinsons!). Just go to to decide where to sow them now...

2. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    Cornflowers

wish I had sown mine in September too! I sowed some in March and now have about 20 tall leggy plants.Should I nip the tips out? they look quite healthy other than being thin.

aria

3. Chopper

Chopper Do I really look like a people person?

Seal Clubber
    Ratings:
    +112
    Is cornflower perennial ??

4. LittleWeed

LittleWeed Gardener

Househubby
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cornflower are annuals. Now I am excited because I managed to answer someones question. I only know because I have some little baby plants growing reading for the autumn. :yess:

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,567
      Congratulations LittleWeed. :thumbsup: See, you're already getting to grips with this gardening lark! :)

• LittleWeed

LittleWeed Gardener

Househubby
      Ratings:
      +4
      It's incredible Sheal, that only about 4 or 5 weeks ago when I started to read 'Gardening for Dummies' that I didn't even know that there were different classifications like annual, perennial and bi-annual. To me they were flowers you stuck in the ground and waited.

I think the biggest shock for me was that I can't grow the flowers and plants I want because of soil type and position. i.e. acid, alkaline, full sun and shade!

If I can learn one new thing every couple of days I will get there.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,567
      There you go, and you'll be learning for the rest of your life, gardening 'don't stop for no man' or woman for that matter.

Soil type is my biggest problem aswell, I live 200 yards from the sea, so it's very sandy and free draining. My young trees are in their fourth season now, but I still have to keep them watered when it's dry.

Happy gardening! :)