1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sowing veg seed - pots or directly into the soil?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by LCH, Feb 10, 2007.

1. LCH

LCH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Just wanting some advice on sowing veg seed. Most packets of seed say to sow straight into the soil where they are to grow but is it better to sow in pots of compost first to establish good roots and then transplant into the veg plot?

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    On the whole, you're better to do as they say, to avoid root disturbance, but if you really want to do it, use something like the inside of a loo roll as a pot, or the rootrainers we've been discussing quite a bit lately - that minimises any disturbance.

3. LCH

LCH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dendrobium, this makes sense, I think that I will stick to what the packets say. Although the "moist, raked soil" that is talked about on the seed packet is far from the case in my soggy, clay veg patch at the moment!!

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Mine's like that too - I'll be waiting a bit for rather better conditions..... :rolleyes:

5. jlottie

jlottie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to sow a lot of veggies in modules or newspaper pots at home and then transplant them on my plot. The idea behind this is that I don't have to prepare the soil to a fine tilth for a seed bed and I can keep them well watered to get them off to a good start. No good for root crops though.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    For your 'moist raked soil' try raking a good sized V shape in your rougher garden soil and fill with a finer raked soil, sow your seed, and then water well in
    It works a dream [​IMG]
    Peas are brilliant started off in those little peat pots that can be planted direct into the soil without disturbing roots. It also means that the birds won't pull them up thinking they are worms [​IMG]

7. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I tend to start all my cabbages, brussel sprouts, caulis, callabrese in trays. This is so they have a good clean start without any club root and I find they establish faster.
    I also start off climbing French beans inside. These are not frost hardy and I find it gives me an earlier crop than if i sowed direct.

8. cauliflower ears

cauliflower ears Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why does'nt it work for root crops?

9. MICK FORD

MICK FORD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    it does work for root crops you just have to be careful you d'not break any of the root

10. cauliflower ears

cauliflower ears Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mick, I thought that might be the answer

11. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Also think of how many carrots for example you would grow. I will be expecting to grow several hundred carrots and beetroot - its not worth the hassle.
    I have started my onions from seed inside and that was a pain, planting them out into seed trays. I think I overestimated , I have 180 now. I think I need a plot like the Tardis.

12. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you transplant carrots and do not get the root straight - the carrot will grow in whichever direction the root is. That is how some people have got small curly carrots.

I plant everything in pots (the ones you can plant) except for root veg.

13. JEN.K

JEN.K Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    "I think I overestimated , I have 180 now. I think I need a plot like the Tardis." Your not the only one I got a bit carried away with ordering seeds this year wanting to try lots of different veg then planting all the seeds working on the basis that over half would either not do anything or I would kill them on my first attempt to trasplant from the heated prop. into individual pots. Well after wanting 2 chilli plants out of 10 seeds I now have 9. the same goes with everything else and every window ledge and the porch is full of little plants all doing well and I don't have the heart to kill off any of them as they were my first attempt at growing from seed. :confused:

14. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Try offering your extras to friends and family, or even better sell them at a car boot sale or church table top sale. If this forum is anything to go by we are all suckers for it and cannot pass a place that sells plants without buying at least one!!

15. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well said mate whenever we go train spotting I always visit a garden center on route.I am on a 'must have' suckers we gardners are.