1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spell Checker

Discussion in 'Member Requests' started by Will Ting, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Will Ting

Will Ting Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :help: I find reading and writing difficult, and my spelling is very poor. :( It would be a great help to me if I could use a forum spell checker just before posting. ..its just an idea anyway. :gnthb:

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think you would find that tedious - the text would have to be sent to the server at the far end, then suggestions some back, then you make choices and repost - all that will be quite slow I expect.

I'm dyslexic and I use two tools - with the benefit that they work on all website :thumb: in case of any use to you here's what I use:

For most of my browsing I use Firefox, which has a built in spell checker. Its not perfect though.

On PCs where I use Internet Explorer I have installed Google Toolbar - that has a spell check button - press that and spelling mistakes are highlighted and you can click-to-correct.

Pros and Cons:

Firefox puts a wiggle red line under typos as you type (much like Word does) so easy to correct-as-you go. With Google Toolbar you have to press a spell-check button.

Firefox only works on TEXTAREA fields (multiline boxes like the one used here, but it won't work in the Title field - unless you Right Click the field and choose Check Spelling) [you can configure Firefox to work on all fields, but its a bit of a techie-manoeuvre]. When you press the Spell Check button in Google Toolbar it checks & highlights all fields on the page.

Fire-fox is buggy. Sometime the spell checker stops working on a text field. Its something to do with going back and making changes in the field in such a way that it then stops detecting some mistakes. That's fixable by Right Click and then DE-select Check Spelling, then right click again and RE-select Check Spelling - at which point it re-evaluates the field and finds all errors. But that is a complete PITA of course ... you have to remember to do it on any occasion where the spelling is critical to you. For me, its good enough for forum posting. If I spot a spelling error when proof reading then I click de-select click re-select CURSE! but otherwise I just post and rely on other folks' tolerance.

Neither will find grammatical errors, or misplaced words - I originally typed that I SUE Firefox and I SUE Internet Explorer - which may be a wish at times, but the rest of the time I USE them!

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :wink: As Kristen says Firefox & google have spell checkers, but if you don't have either ofthem for some reason this site might help...
    http://www.spellex.com/Products/spellchecker.htm

Here is the outlook one... Choose your download from the Download bar on the right.. Hope that helps WT... :thmb:

4. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    If you use a word processor programme to compose your post, then you can do the spell check in that programme, then copy and paste your post into the quick reply box on the forum. That is how I've just posted this message. There are two good reasons for doing this, you can compose your message in your favourite word processor and you don't suffer from losing your message when the forum decides to go on a 'go slow' and trashes your message. :thumb:

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    If you choose 'Go Advanced' when writing posts, I believe the advanced text editor features a spell checker, albeit in US English. At least it does on my machine so I don't know if it is a local thing on my machine or part of the forum software.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    "albeit in US English. "

I haven't used it, but American spelling, along with mis-pronunciation of words are my pet hate. I prefer a bad speller lol.

7. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    This is a good idea, as I am now in the habit of my word processor to compose long messages after losing a few while typing direct to the GC server...And as you say you can quickly spell check.
    robert

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Blimey, sounds like a lot of effort!

If I compose a long message I copy to clipboard before pressing SAVE - "Just in case".

If I forget I can quite often get the text back by pressing BACK (some forums, and some "circumstances", better than others, so not reliable)

Won't help with a power cut (which composing in Word would)

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698