1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spikey leaf, evergreen, red berry bush????

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Cookie Monster, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi!

This has always been in my garden since I bought the house and has always been a bit of a mystery to me. It has grown about 1 inch in 5 years and is incredibly sharp and just sort of sits there doing everything R e a l l y S l o w l y .....!

Looks like something that should be growing in MORDOR!

Any ideas folks?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,033
    I'm with you roders. ;) [​IMG]

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    No - I've looked up Butcher's Broom and I am certain you are right!

Thanks very much Roders! [​IMG]

My mum has had Pernettyas and I would have recognised it if it were one of those.

I didn't realize that the measley little doodahs that appear in the centre of the leaf are it's flowers - I've learned something new today!

Never see the birds taking its berries - I had wondered if they were poisonous but no mention is made of this, so I guess they're not. Ah well, it's not such an evil plant as I had imagined... ;)

Thanks again.

It is a nice little plant - but a spitfire if you get too close without good gloves on!

Thanks again chuck!