1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

spiky cucumbers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by eden, Jul 5, 2006.

1. eden

eden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have 4 cucumber plants which in the beginning produced smooth skinned cucumbers but now they are producing spiky skinned cucumbers!! What have I done wrong or not done as the case may be??

2. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Don't know myself, but I grew cucumbers for the first time last year and they were of the knobbly/spiky type. They had tiny hard lumps at the end of each 'spike' that rubbed off as the cucumbers grew. When we harvested them I rubbed the skin to remove any remaining lumps and they tasted great.

3. eden

eden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks cathysue I tried one of the spiky cucumbers today and it was very bitter, not sweet like the other plant.
    I've cut all the spiky ones off now as I read that there are male and female flowers on the plants and that the male flowers should be taken off, but I do not know which are which!!

4. eden

eden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've found out what my spiky cucumbers are their a type of gherkin aparently well they look like the pictures on the internet anyway. I can pickle them wish I'd known that before cutting them all off

5. eden

eden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to recalim the poor things from the waste now

6. dominic

dominic Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hiya guy's, i've also done cucumbers this year, and they are also spikey, but this is because they are suppose to be, the variety i have grown are marketmore, a variety from the alan titchmarch collection, it's easy to spot the difference between male and female, wait until the flower has opened , then you can see the fruit at the back of the female's, the male's have got a very small stem, i personally love eating the male flower's i have nipped out, mix them in with your salad for colour, mmmmmmmmmm'm

give a man a fish he'll eat for a day
    give a man a fishing rod he'll eat forever