1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spitfires and Mock Orange - Enjoy your garden now

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JWK, Jun 27, 2010.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    Had a lovely day pottering in the garden yesterday.

Set up a watering system in my greenhouse, connected to a couple of water butts and using leaky hoses I shouldn't have to worry when we go on holiday and it will save me a few minutes every day.

Then had lunch with freshly picked mangetout, spinach and lettuce plus some of last yearâ??s onions stored in the shed.

Around 2pm the Battle of Britain flight flew directly over our house, the Lancaster looked like it was going to clip the chimney pots! What a wonderful sound from the engines so close, hits you right in the chest and makes the hairs on your back stand up.

As the temperature hit 30 deg C (mid 80's in old money) I relaxed on a lounger with a beer. A song thrush serenaded us in a tree a few yards away, trying to outdo a rival in the distance. The scent of the mock orange wafted by and I felt myself nodding off, when the aircraft came back again.

A Spitfire and a Messerschmitt circled us for long enough for me to grab my camera and take a photo:

[​IMG]

What more could a man wish for than birds, beer and song!

Relax and enjoy your garden now folks! :gnthb:

2. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a man here would have been in heaven if those planes had gone over. I like to see a happy man beer in hand relaxing................................means the little lady gets peace and quiet :lollol:

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Perfect day John..
    They are rare these days..

4. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Sounds just about perfect to me John. I had one of them recently but with the sound of a waterfall, some bird song and a good book - heaven!

You're right - enjoy your garden today:)

cheers

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,926
    I guess they were part of the Biggin Hill display, which has been on this weekend.

They have had great weather for it.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :gnthb: John that sounds absolutely idyllic..!! You should have given us all a call..!!!! :lollol: No on 2nd thoughts that would have been awful & no idyllic peace..!! :lollol:

:gnthb: This is certainly the time to enjoy your gardens though & a great pic to boot..! :yho:

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    We were down at Littlehampton, West Sussex yesterday late afternoon and a Spitfire circled overhead a few times. Very impressive.

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    Thanks guys. The aircraft could have been going to Biggin Hill, it was Armed Forces day yesterday as well, so maybe they were flying over a few of the city centre events en-route. The roar of the Merlin engine is something else. I wonder if it was the same Spitfire you saw Aaron.