spotty hebe

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by windy miller, Jul 24, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    A purple flowering hebe of mine has got spots, mahogany coloured ones on its leaves. I picked off all the affected ones yesterday, but today its got more. if I keep picking them off soon it will be bald :eek: I repotted and fed it thinking that might be the problem but to no avail. Is it going to affect all my plants? I'm not too bothered if I lose this one, but I'll be gutted to lose some others. Help!! :confused:

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I used to get something similar on my purple majesty/queen hebe something like that. Caused defoliation in parts but it was never enough to kill it. Regular pruning kept the shape ok but I would also spray with rose clear and as I remember with mixed success. Check the drainage as leaf spotting is common with drainage issues.

BM

3. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BM,
    Just re-potted it so that should sort any drainage problems out - hopefully! It's flowering at the moment (but looking really sad, bare stems with a few leaves and flowers at the end) can I prune it hard after flowering? :confused:

4. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I used to trim a huge hebe after flowering with a hedge trimmer. I was a bit scared at first but they get sooo leggy that after a good prune shaping, it responded really well.

5. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    In fact some years it flowered so well it hung like a drunk it was so laiden with flowers.

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks BM,
    Anything that hangs like a drunk is welcome to party with me 'n' Stella :D :D