Spring bulbs 2022

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Selleri, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    It's that time of the year! :) What's everybody growing this spring?

After spending a year consolidating and getting rid of the way too many container plants I had, I now have plenty of spare containers. :scratch: Spring bulb galore it is! So far I have bought things I really want from JParkers, and things that forced themselves upon me by Messiers Wilko and Home Bargains.

One slight problem is that I haven't got a clue what to do with Brodiaea, googling tells me that it grows 30-50 cm tall but the corms look tiny. I wonder if they would look good in the 25cm low clay pot I'm planning for the Tete-a-tete? They would fit in lower layer and flower when the TaT are long gone, but if they are tall the pot might look top heavy. Problems, problems!

Today I'll pot up some prepared Hyacinths and put them in the fridge. Lesson learnt- white ones have much stronger scent than coloured ones, too much for an indoors plant. So I went for pink this year, much to the delight of The Teenager who is very much into anything pink [​IMG]

Brodiaea.jpg jparkers.jpg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +20,947
    @Selleri
    I have Brodiaea laxa, had it for years lovely summer flowering bulb, mine are in a freely draining bed near a path and they have spread somewhat. I understand it is now Triteleia. I also have Triteleia ixioides "Starlight" which I am fond of, seems to be less hardy as I nearly lost it completely in a cold winter around 2010 while the B laxa was untouched; it has slowly come back.
    As for B laxa see Triteleia laxa | grassnut Bulbs/RHS Gardening for planting depth, also Triteleia ixioides &s;Starlight&s; | triplet lily &s;Starlight&s; Bulbs/RHS Gardening
    I have just ordered Narcissus "Baby Moon" and Crocus Imperati de Jaeger and Crocus tommasinianus. The Baby Moon will be going in a pot (slugs and snails); the crocus will go around the garden.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,145
    I've recently bought a loads of crocus, prins Claus, for the front lawn. Have also got a selection of alliums coming and just wondering where to put 50 new tulips

4. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    Thanks @NigelJ , great links and now I'm updating the plan and teaming the Brodiaeas with mid-flowering tulips in a bigger pot. It's always nice to find a plant one hasn't grown before, and at £0.99 there's not much to cry about if things fall short of being spectacular and turn out just nice. :)

Easy, plop them all in a 50cm pot, step back and behold the beauty right on your doorstep. Having said that, it depends on where you got the bulbs from. My most famous lush spring container had cheap bulbs from Poundland, and turned out to be 59 pink and 1 yellow. :doh:On the upside, it did look good and everyone wanted to know why I "chose" to plant just one in contrasting colour... :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      • Like Like x 2