1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring bulbs . . .

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by David E Peacock, Apr 8, 2017.

1. David E Peacock

David E Peacock Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +165
    Last back end I decided that my three Box Hedge Beds would have flowers instead of the usual veggies in them!
    The decision was for Scarlet tulips underplanted with wallflowers.
    I am very happy with the result but feel the wallflowers have flowered a little behind the tulips.
    By the way, advise please as to do I remove the tulip flower when its died off and I take it I lift them then and dry them off in a tray. Am I correct? SAM_2138.JPG SAM_2134.JPG SAM_2135.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      @David E Peacock - that's a stunning piece of hedgework and the plants really bring some magic to your work. Hat off to you, Sir :love30:

With tulips and many spring bulbs, it's best to cut off the seed head once flowering has finished to prevent them from using valuable energy reserves from their bulbs for seed/new bulb production. Also, they should be left for a good few weeks to photosynthesise and put energy back into the bulbs for next season's display. At least 6 weeks - or until the foliage turns yellow and starts withering. Them lift them up and store.

A lot of people who have large borders leave them in the ground but often bulbs are munched up by slugs or inadvertently destroyed when digging, but as your planting areas are quite compact, you obviously appreciate it's necessary to lift them to make room for summer plants. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • David E Peacock

David E Peacock Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +165
        @Mowerman - Thank you for your kind words and advice. Much appreciated!

• Friendly Friendly x 1