1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring Lawn Feed

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Chris Beecham, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Chris Beecham

Chris Beecham Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    IMG_20200405_122817.jpg IMG_20200405_122824.jpg Hi

I had a new lawn laid in October last year. It's looking pretty healthy but our lawn treatment company are unable to attend due to the current crisis. It's due a spring feed. Any suggestions on what I can buy and apply myself?

Cheers

Chris

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think whatever fertiliser is available labelled "Spring lawn feed" or similar e.g. Spring lawn care would do the trick. Doesn't look like you have any/many weeds so i wouldn't waste money on weed-and-feed.

The challenge will be to spread it evenly ... if you have a lawn fertiliser distributor I would do a dry run on a sheet of plastic. Run it over a measured length 10 times and then tip the fertiliser from the plastic sheet into a container and weigh it, and then work out what is being applied per sq.m.

If you haven't really got that choice then I would apply it however you can (the shaker from the packet, or "by hand") in the smallest dose you can, so that you have to make the maximum number of passes (at least 4 hours be good) and then alternate the passes front-to-back and left-to-right in order to try to get as even coverage as possible

3. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
  4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I'd be sceptical until I had calibrated it "the once" ... but maybe overly cautious? My cheap and nasty spreader lied about its application rate ... might have had something to do with the "cheap" part!