1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spring onions that have bulbed - pickled onions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,585
    There is a sort of bitter-sweet irony to this....

As most of you know, this year has been utterly awful garden wise for me, despite getting off to a half-decent looking start by June. Tomatoes got blight, brassicas didn't really do, beans failed, peas failed, carrots got munched, sweetcorn grew well but the corn itself is like rock.... potatoes did OK I suppose, beetroot is unknown yet but the one thing that romped away and did well was spring onions.

I have tried many times with spring onions, and always failed - this year, they were fantastic. I've just been out to pull those remaining (quite a lot) with the thought that I would chop them up and freeze them to use in stir-fries etc - - but, looking at the bulbs, I have got to wondering.... could the bulbs be used to make pickled onions?

2. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    I don't see why not. My favourite pickled onions & shallots are "Garners", pricey though compared to other brands.

If my Mrs buys the likes of "Haywards" the jar ends up at the back of the cupboard, in the past it ends up being thrown out as the use by date has well and truly expired.

How to Make Pickled Spring Onions – Tall Tale Farm (wordpress.com)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,585
      We don't eat an awful lot of pickled onions to be fair, I was just trying not to waste them. Looking at the costs involved, I am not sure to be honest - vinegar, pickling spice and jars are going to run us to about £20 or so - - freezing is more or less free.

• Like Like x 2
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,961
        I find that the likes of white Lisbon are very hot when they bulb up, so I would try drying them off and use them for cooking.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,585
        These are white ishikura I believe - - all chopped up and in the freezer now, will just lob them into stir fries and stuff.

• Like Like x 1