1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprinkler queation

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Nicholas Burman, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Nicholas Burman

Nicholas Burman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I have just bought a sprinkler however I would like to know how to manage it...how many minutes on should run it at a time, especially at this moment where much of Europe is in the grip of a heat wave?

Cheers Nicholas

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,933
    What part of the European heatwave are you in?:smile:
    I've never really used a sprinkler, they waste far too much water and only really any use to people with very large veg patches, or those that like lawns.

4. Quentin Jackson

Quentin Jackson Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Generally in UK I find a mains tap outputs around 13 litres per minute.

You can measure the flow rate from a hose with a spray gun by timing the time it takes to fill a watering can.

With this and the knowledge that 1mm of rain is 1 litre per m2 you can work out how long you might need to run your sprinkler for to apply a meaningful amount of water.

E.g if the sprinkler claims to cover 200m2 an your tap is outputting 10l per minute. Then to apply 1mm to the area you will need to run it for 20 minutes.

In reality probably an hour to apply meaningful water as 1mm is not that much. Depending upon how dry the area is and how often you water.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Thanks Quentin for providing the maths. In addition. IMO considerations need to be observered.The amount height and coverage of vegitation, time taken for water to effectively hit the ground, degree of dryness of soil. Considering temperature, how much spray will be vapourised prior to reaching the ground. That is basically my reason for having answered, trial & error. Hope this helps Nicholas.

• Agree Agree x 1