1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sprouting Root Ginger

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sar, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this morning that my root ginger has started to sprout in the fridge. I've decided that I'm going to plant it up to see how it grows. [​IMG] I like to experiment [​IMG]

Have any of you ever grown a 'ginger plant' this way? What sort of conditions might it like?

Any hints, tips and photos would be great [​IMG]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I grew one year before last. Makes a nice house plant and a good summer plant for the patio. I accidentally left it out so I lost it, but they grow pretty easily and are simple to replace. [​IMG]

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,368
    Sar, coming from S.E Asia they prefer warm humid conditions to thrive. A heated greenhouse is preferable but they can be grown for some time on a windowsill in filtered light. Don't bury the tuber completely, leave the top just above the suface of the soil/compost. Keep moist but not wet. [​IMG]

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I've grown several as well, but n ever been able to overwinter one, or to get it to flower. We'vehad this come up beforebut can't remember anyone getting flowers.
    Good luck!

5. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice everyone [​IMG]

strongylodod, Good job you mentioned how to plant it, I completely forgot to ask about it.

I'll pot it up tomorrow and put it in my vestibule for now - no greenhouse as of yet.

I'd love to know if anyone has had flowers! [​IMG]

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    BM. You know darn well that true root ginger is totally tropical. I think I was involved in this discussion some weeks ago.

ginger

You can't even grow it in UK in summer. and I and many others have tried. :rolleyes:

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Sorry dude, I did. Grew fine in a pot no problems summer 2005.

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    28 degrees c steady in 2005? Ah. I've sussed your hideout. It's in the Bananas - sorry Bahamas.

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    :D I would dispute the need for 28degrees in the same way I dispute most of the RHS figures. They quote for example a minimum temp of 10-16 degrees for a Phoenix canariensis. They also quote 16degrees for most ensetes, mine is still growing quite happily at well below that figure and won't get protected until the first batch of sub 5 degree nights ;)

Next year I am going to grow one just for you :D

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,592
    My ginger died a thousand deaths through our dry summer and I dug around and found nothing in the ground so planted a lemon grass in it's place ... and guess what has sprung up out of nowhere next to the lemon grass ... no prizes! [​IMG]

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,368
    I grew a few ginger tubers in the Parks Dept Palm House here in the ground, grew to 3ft (no flower), kept it for a year with a winter temp of 13c. They come from a tropical climate but can definitely grow at lower temperatures. I ignore RHS temperature guides too, they haven't caught up yet.

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just borrowed a book "Hardy Gingers" covering (Hedychium,Roscoea and Zingiber). It says:-

The Zingiber genus with 150 species are forest dwelling plants from southern and south-eastern Asia, notably Thailand and southern China. They need well drained soil, particularly when dormant.

Culinary ginger is Zingiber officinale. Shop bought rhizomes will produce variable results with some reaching no more than 24 inches and others up to 71 inches. The flowers are very rarely seen in cultivation even in tropical areas. Very few Zingiber species will flower in the UK because the growing season is just not long enough. It says Z. officinale is relatively hardy and needs a free draining but nutritious soil. It quotes a minimum temperature of minus 10C.

I have one that seems quite happy inside on a window sill. Its now 18 inches high, but this has reminded me that I must make the soil more free draining.

I see Kew quotes a minimum of 24C, but I wonder if they are not refering to the temperature needed to make it grow, which is different from the temperature that will kill it.

Edit: have just noticed that this book is an RHS Plant Collector Guide - it sounds as if the left hand side doesn't talk to the right hand side.

13. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I forgot to search before I posted *blush*

Thanks for all the information, everyone [​IMG] I think I'll just give it a go and see what happens - hopefully the cats don't get to it and try to rid us of the 'weird new thing' [​IMG]

PeterS, could you post a picture of your ginger plant please?

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Boy thanks BM. I tried growing one, bought from the local Chinese supermarket and already sprouting. Tried it in the kitchen but it got to a couple of feet (or should I say 60 cm?) and then just croaked.

The RHS figure for P. canariensis is interesting, very interesting, but also shtoopid. I threw some sacking over my babies (about 15") in the garden last year. Not a cold winter but they are now about 24". Didn't even protect my just starting to trunk two. Mebbe the RHS quotes in fahrenheit?

15. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Sar - just seen your post - so here's a picture. My apologies it not a very good picture by flash because of the shadow, but you can get the idea. The leaves have been nibbled a bit - not sure by whom. Both stems are from the same rhizome - it sprouted in two places.

[​IMG]