sprouts in raised beds?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Claire75, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had success with several crops this year, but once again my brussels sprouts are not looking promising.
    The first year I tried to grow them, I started them in seedtrays but had to delay planting out, so they started out all long and leggy - then the pigeons got them. I got about 3 tiny sprouts that were edible, we had them for christmas lunch... the others were all open and kind of flappy.
    This year, the caterpillars got 'em and reduced them to stalks - some sprouts are actually forming but they look like being quite open.
    My question is, is it general neglect (bird and bug attacks) that makes the sprouts loose, or is it planting in raised beds? A friend told me loose sprouts are because they haven't been planted firm enough, and obviously raised beds tend to be less firm although I stamp down round the plants as much as I can... but I don't see how loose soil can make loose sprouts, it just doesn't seem to make sense. Or is it something else entirely?
    Sorry that rambled rather, I'm getting a bit tired :D

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot see where you plant them making any difference, I think you are under attack from insects and birds.

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bumble bee - do you grow them yourself btw? and if so could you tell me where and how please (e.g. do you bother trying to plant them very firmly)? It is a bit perplexing because I've read that they like to be planted firmly in a few books that seem quite sensible too.