1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spruce's honey bees

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Spruce, May 1, 2012.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi All

A favourite member of mine and yours has asked me to start a thread on honey bees and what I do throughout the year , I do have two nucleous (baby) hives I have to pick up soon I thought this may be a good introduction to the thread. As if anyone is thinking of beekeeping this is how everyone starts.

I will do photos etc and keep it as simple as I can with explaning the (way I do things ) somtimes people may disagree but I will look at it as an insight and overview, remembering this is a gardening forum and I will leave apiarist (beekeepers) to the Bee Forum which is already well established in the UK and if detailed information is required far more experience and knowlegdeable people than I or maybe more articulate to explain.

This all depends on you, if enough interest shown I will start a new thread .

Lots of opertunities for GC members to join in:

• photos / competition
    • favourite bee plants
    • what we can all do to help
    • Updates etc Asian Hornet in the UK or not
    • Pesticides do' & dont's
    • Organic alternatives
    • ??????????????????

Spruce

• Like Like x 9
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      :goodpost: :wow:

Go for it Spruce, i'm sure I speak for all of us except Lolimac in saying we'd love that:dbgrtmb:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I'd be interested in the Hornet side too, as i've seen normal Hornets & then i've seen things that resemble small fighter aircraft in both size & sound:hate-shocked::runforhills:

• Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,322
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Cheers Spruce:dbgrtmb:

No, they were much bigger than that.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Brilliant Spruce ....i'm up for that...will read with interest:dbgrtmb:
        Got a question.....i know it wasn't a Bee but ....a couple of years ago i caught a massive wasp thing....no exageration it was 4 " long and what i presume was the 'sting' was like a darning needle...had it in a jam jar so i could get a good look at it....amazing thing it was.....obviously started to get annoyed so let it go and ran:runforhills:...what was it:hate-shocked:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Sorry missed earlier post.....Mr Searchfield is on a wind up mission:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Think i've sussed the 'thing' i found.....Giant wood wasp:dbgrtmb: 'they' reckon is "completely harmless"....i think someones having a laugh:th scifD36:...looked like a murderer to me:runforhills:
          When are you getting your nucleous Spruce...i can't wait....seriously really interested:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
          • Spruce

Ratings:
            +12,322
            H
            Hi Should of been last week but the weather has put them back by about a week but waiting on the phone call I have the main hive ready its called a 14 x 12 its similar to a National Hive but the brood box frame is bigger , just realised I should do all this stuff first and explane all the parts of the hive (to follow) typical not raining so I need to do stuff in the garden , I will plan out what what , looks like the thread is a up and running then. Catch ya later :hapfeet:

Spruce

• Like Like x 4
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Any news on the Bees yet Spruce:thumbsup:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,035
              Keeping bees has interested me in the past.
              But I dont eat honey.

I just find them interesting creatures, clever creatures even.

Came across swarms in trees on a couple of occasions and they are actually very scary.

• Like Like x 1
              • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                Ratings:
                +31,187
                004 (1024x575).jpg 005 (1024x575).jpg 004 (1024x575).jpg 005 (1024x575).jpg Last year, a swarm started in our communal car park at 8am and by 11am was this size. A local bee keeper was more than happy to take the queen and most of her devotees away. A few stragglers stayed a day or two but left eventually. it was a very fascinating experience and I did not find it scary as they were not angry. The HUM was quite loud and wonderful, Loved it and I look forward to viewing this thread with interest Spruce

• Like Like x 4
                • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Wow great pics Jenny:dbgrtmb:....i'm looking forward to this thread too:thumbsup:

• Spruce

Ratings:
                  +12,322
                  OK OK I picked them up on Monday yes in all that rain at least they were all at home one got into the car and when I opened the boot about thirty just sitting on the side of the nucleous hive but it was cold and they just sat their when I took them out of the boot and placed them on the hive stand I left them 24 hours to get used to the new suroundings, I have transfred them into the main hives Tuesday (bigger and more room) it was just the best day as it was sunny warm and very little wind perfect , going down to the Apiary Saturday so will take the camera , but no shots of inside yet couple more weeks I will take some of the hives and the entrace they are "Buckfast bees" just so you know I will add some links about the hive etc just to get us all off to a good start.
                  Jenny love the photos swarms can be scary its the noise before they settle, just before they leave the hive all the bees have a feed on honey so very docile at that stage maybe a day or two as they wait for the scouts bees to find a new home then off they go again its amazing to watch as its starts with just a couple then the queen take to the air the whole lot go , I supose you want shots of me in my suit but if I catch anyone laughing !!!

Spruce

• Like Like x 2