1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Spuds in Buckets

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Dillydo, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Dillydo

Dillydo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm sure this has been asked before..but I could not find the topic. So could anyone tell me what is the best tater to grow in a bucket..when do I plant them and when do I harvest them.Thank you so much :confused:

2. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I only put earlies in buckets, never tried maincrop yet!
    my dad has his planted up in the greenhouse already.
    as for length of time, i just have a good scratch about and when i see there big enough grab the BUTTER :D

3. Dillydo

Dillydo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

4. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Earlies will do fine. Never tried maincrop yet, but never needed to !

5. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have to drill drainage holes? The bucket wouldn't be much use for anything else if so!

6. Markr

Markr Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes you need to put holes in, any old buckets will do, as long as they hold soil/compost.
    just got my seed potatoes today, so it wont be long before i have some in [​IMG]

7. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I did maincrop spuds last year in old compost bags. They were all right, I planted them later than others and had a reasonable crop late october. Which I had the last lot of this week. I will plant more this year to see me through the whole of winter.