1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Square Park - new trees offered. But what types?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by LauraRoslin, Jan 17, 2019.

1. LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
    +428
    Some of you may remember me posting photos of damage caused to my local green space by tree surgeons. It led me to set up a Friends Of group and we have been campaigning for the damage to be repaired and replacement trees put in. All of the present trees are about the same age so will deteriorate at the same time, leaving us with no canopy cover at all.

The company who trashed the field have agreed to plant 5 trees. So we need to decide what we want. I'm thinking native trees that are good for wildlife as the long-term plan is to turn it into a mini nature reserve.

Any ideas on what would be the best trees to have? Nothing that needs a lot of maintenance, preferably.

• Like Like x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      Rowan, crab apple, wild plum, hawthorn, oak if there is room? Chosen from the trees growing in my local park-come-nature reserve. All natives, none requiring much attention.

• Like Like x 1
      • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
        +428
        Ooooh.... rowan. That's quite a pretty tree, isn't it? Crab apple sounds good. Already thought of oak as we had two removed. And hawthorn as it's good for the wild life. And the thorns will stop the local drinking club from hiding in it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
      • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
        +428
        It's not the one I was thinking of but it does have the berries which birds love. So that's a good one.

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,731
      • LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
        +428
        Thanks Clare, I found that yesterday. Having spoken to the group I think the general consensus is an oak, 3 hawthorn and either a beech or a rowan. Both if we can get them.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,255
          Have you thought of Ash? Fast growing and good vertebrates and fungi - and when large are good nesting for birds.

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
          +428
          I did but was a bit worried about Die Back. A lot of ash trees have been removed in recent years, haven't they?

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
            Ratings:
            +14,125
            @LauraRoslin Ash die Back is still on the increase so I don’t think Ash at this time would be a good long term project there’s so many kinds of oak to choose from evergreen Holm Oak and the red Quercus Rubra is gorgeous.. Copper Beach is always gorgeous.. There is also the Service tree - Sorbus torminalis a beautiful tree. Lots to choose from. Do you have a tree nursery anywhere near as you will be able to get advice there..

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
            +428
            The Tree Man at the local council is going to source the trees so I don't need to worry about that part.

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
            +428
            Met with the Tree Officer this morning. We have decided to put trees along the fences and will underplant with shrubs later.

He gave me the catalogue for the Council's supplier and I've decided to go with smaller trees that have blossom and fruit. Two types of apple, a common holly, a wild cherry and a sorbus are on the list. Plus hawthorn and rowan.

So it depends on what is in stock as to what we get.

He did say that he'd had an email from a local resident saying that she didn't want hawthorn as the thorns were dangerous to children. I gave him a puzzled look and said 'Well yeah, but they will only go near it once.' He nodded.

• Like Like x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,255
              That was a good answer from the Tree Officer. :blue thumb: Kids have got to learn!

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              The list is now winging its way to the TO!

Asked for hazel, apple, hawthorn, holly, wild cherry and rowan. Will see if he agrees and if those are in stock.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,830
              You haven't said what the wider habitat of this location is like. I ask because you give no clue to where it is situated, just "in the middle".....in the middle of what? a marsh, an inner city? I'm not being flippant but it does to some extent determine what your choices could or should be. What is the soil type, elevation, distance from the sea? Native is good but native to where is my point.

• LauraRoslin

LauraRoslin Gardener

Ratings:
              +428
              It's an urban park. Basically a square of grass on boggy ground that slopes from north to south. It is surrounded by houses on 3 sides. There are mature trees in the middle - oak, horse chestnut, Scots pine and beech. At the bottom of the slope is a very boggy area of reeds and a few small oak.

The damaged area where the new trees will be is at the top of the slope where it is drier but still damp. The soil is clay loam.