1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Started so i'll have to finish!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by greencuisinequeen, Apr 11, 2011.

1. greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Hello peeps,
    Wonder if I can ask anyone for some guidance here? I have yesterday sown some courgette, squash, tomato and pepper seeds (first time ever) The instructions on pkts weren't clear around feeding them though so have only watered them after sowing. I have covered tomato and pepper seeds with poly bags but not on the courgette and squash so will I need to do them as well? They are all in my kitchen at present and have sown them in ordinary compost then read today in a booklet about seed and cutting compost, will this make any difference?
    This is the first time I have attempted any sort of gardening but am keen to learn and had a mum who was great at growing everything (sadly no longer with me)
    Thank you for reading and in anticipation of maybe one reply? :yess:

Happy Days
    GCQ
    :thumbsup:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,988
    Don't feed them until they are established plants, so that will be in a couple of months time - in the meanwhile there will be enough nutrient in the compost to keep them going. (Feeding veg too soon rseults in too much leaf)

No need for poly bags on courgettes/squash but some people on here will use that method - I don't :)

I try and use seed compost - but general purpose works OK - it can be a bit coarse and may dry out a bit quciker than seed compost.

Plants and seeds are remarkably flexible things, all us gardeners have different ways of doing things and the plants seem to adapt, there really aren't any right or wrong ways. I'm sure your plants will be OK. Good luck GCQ!

3. greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks John much appreciated.

A stupid ? but will ask anyway; :o do I need to water at all while they are indoors or just keep an eye on compost drying out? Sorry bout this but really want me seeds to grow and give this gardening mularky a go lol

Happy days
    GCQ

4. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Hi there, GCQ.

Good to hear that you are starting on gardening - and with what you've sown, you get to taste success!

Once the seed has been sown, water the pots (as you have done), and then check them regularly, and water the pots when the surface seems dry. This should be easy, as they are in the kitchen, so make a habit of glancing at them when you do the washing-up, make a cuppa, etc. They will probably need a little water every 2-3 days. The easiest way is to stand the pot in a larger bowl with about 2-3 inches of water in it. Wait for about 10 mins, and then take the pot out again. (apologies if you're used to watering house-plants!)

• Like Like x 1
    • greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
      +42
      Cheers Sian Have followed your advice yesterday and have completed task, guess i'll feel better when I see them starting to sprout and will know I have done something right :o

Does anyone know about Cat Mint? I have sown some of those seeds too for my 2 cats but again with not knowing much about it is there any tips on how to get the best results?

Happy days
      GCQ

• greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
      +42
      As I enter Phase 2 ( from sowing to propagation) am not only shocked things got this far but in anticipation of any further movement would like to ask what are my next steps and does things look normal so far :scratch:
      1st pic is Courgettes, 2nd pic is Peppers,3rd pic Tomatoes all @ week 3. They are all in the kitchen at present (not a lot of light as is only small window but do think that the radio has helped somewhat and think Steve Wright in the afternoon still has it!
      The squash that I have sown has not as yet showed and that is also in week 3 so don't know if that is the norm or not

Any advice is always gratefully appreciated :dbgrtmb:

Happy days
      GCQ

Attached Files:

• JWK

Ratings:
      +45,988
      Well done, isn't it a great feeling when seeds germinate?

Hope you don't mind me saying they are starting to get 'leggy' - long and thin trying to find more light. Is there another window with more sun? Where are you going to plant these eventually, in a greenhouse, cold frame or what? I ask because right now your seedlings will do much better outside during the day in a greenhouse/cold frame than in your kitchen. Bring them in for the night though and don't put them out if the days suddenly get much cooler.

Also you probably have far too many seedlings of all three types, I'd thin them out - you've got to be cruel to be kind. It's another thing that forces seedlings to become 'leggy' if there are too many in a pot.

• JWK

Ratings:
      +45,988
      ... oh and you need to be patient with your squash seed, they will take a little longer to germinate :)

• greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
      +42
      I am still in Euphoria John :yess:

I have now put all the trays by my lounge door that opens out onto the garden(if you can call it that :heehee:)
      I have seen two small shoots starting to make an appearance from the squash this morning :yess: I don't have a greenhouse or coldframe, just a few pots that I can split seedlings into so just need to know how far down I pot them really? I don't have anything much gardening wise as we are just starting out and this is our first attempt.
      Thank you for your advice though as don't have a clue but love this site and really admire all of you that are so helpful to those like myself
      :dbgrtmb:

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      You need to get them all in their own pots the courgettes will finish up in a bucket 1 per plant so that can go into say a pot 6"/8" across,for a while. The same for the squash.

When transplanting go up to its neck ,the only time you can do this is the first transplant. so the leaves just clear the soil.

The tomatoes will also end up 1 per bucket but they need to be more gradual in pot size so 1 quite small 3"/4" until you see them settled.

The peppers I grow in large plant pots 12" say, so again move them up gradually.

My rule of thumb tends to be sow into modules or seed trays ,once germinated and true leaves out, pot on to a nice size for how big its going to get without swamping it, then when its starting to grow well and looking a little to large for that pot into its final growing space.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Don't be in a Euphorbia, they've got really nasty irritant sap:heehee:

Glad its going well, Tomatoes can be planted deeper, up to the first set of leaves is good, as they put out roots from the stem which will make the plant stronger & (hopefully) improve cropping.

• greencuisinequeen

Ratings:
      +42
      Thanks Ziggy I'll take your word for it on the Euphorbia ( can get cream for it i'm sure :heehee:)

OK i'm on week 6 now and hangin in there. After reading JWK's advice I went out this weekend and purchased a reasonably priced plastic greenhouse as running out of space in kitchen and light was not enough. I have also been "hardning off" seedlings and taking them in at night but still think something is not quite right so here are the pics so far and do appreciate any :help:
      Pic 1 built by my own fair hands :yess:, pic2 Courgettes, pic3 Squash, pic4 pepper, pic5 Tomato

Attached Files:

• JWK

Ratings:
      +45,988
      Blimey someone listens to me, there's a first :loll:

They all look pretty good to me GCQ, your courgettes and pepper are about the same size as mine. I reckon your courgettes and squash will burst into sudden growth given a bit of sun. I hope to be planting my courgettes out in a couple of weeks time. Watch out for slugs when you first plant them in the soil, and also now yours are outside I'd sprinkle a few slug pellets around just in case.

Your tomatoes are a bit small, but they look sturdy and healthy and should be ready to plant out in early June.

Those plastic mini-greenhouses are great to keep the wind off and get more sunlight, but you have to watch out for excess heat. What I mean is they heat up inside very quickly when the sun comes out, so make sure you keep it well ventilated on sunny days. :dbgrtmb:

• JWK

Ratings:
      +45,988
      Just had another look at your piccies, the compost looks dry, so maybe water a bit more. Also what sort of compost are you using, it looks a bit lumpy?

You should be well chuffed with yourself though!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Well i'm impressed on both counts. A. that someone has listened to John:heehee::WINK1: & B. that the plants are doing so well:dbgrtmb:

My corgettes failed, had to make a second sowing so you are well ahead of me :parsnip:

Your greenhouse has reminded me that Sis told me to erect hers about a month ago:DOH:

Its still sat in the box.:runhills: