1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting off other veg in guttering pipes?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Samuel_1988, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Evening all,

I have recently learned about starting peas in half cut guttering pipes and I was just wondering if this same technique could be used for other vegetable seeds?

I quite like the fact I do not have to then dig holes if I was to pot up seedlings so I am interested in this technique for what I perceive to be as something that is easier and simpler - sow in the cutter then when they are big enough dig a trench matching the gutter size and slide 'em in!

Thank you for your replies,

Samuel

• Like Like x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      I've done this with peas - very satisfying when you tap them out of the pipe and into the ground and they hardly even notice.
      I think it would work with anything that has a fibrous root system. Things with a single tap root - carrot, beetroot, parsnip - I don't think it would suit. Also anything with a tendency to bolt might not like it - spinach, chard etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
        Ratings:
        +3,499
        What other Veggies are you thinking about Samuel? Yes, you can do it with peas but I doubt you could use the same technique for much more.

Part of the enjoyment of growing veg is to see "the fruits of your labours", there is NO easy way out, you have to put the "grind" in to get the best results you can and it does get easier as time goes on, you learn!

• Samuel_1988

Samuel_1988 Gardener

Ratings:
        +14
        Thanks for both of your replies.

Don't get me wrong - I'm ready for the grind (*has Eye of the Tiger song playing in his head*), I'm just trying to find ways to help make it easier (in terms of financially, effort and time) so I can then use this time on other parts of the garden.

I was thinking tomatoes, beetroot, lettuces for the guttering method.

Samuel

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Nothing wrong with giving it a try, but you'd have to think about the final spacing or thin them out before sliding out.

Might be worth doing a control, with the same plants grown and planted out normally, then seeing how they do compared to the guttering ones :)

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
        Lettuces yes, but thin them, tomatoes no, because you need individual plants spaced widely.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I use guttering, rather than pipe. Key benefit of using guttering is being able to hang if from somewhere, during germination, so that mice don't eat the seeds.

peas are sown at relatively close spacing, and rows close together, so this method suits them. I can't see that it would suit much else - for those I think it is better to grow them in individual containers, they can be placed right next to each other on the greenhouse bench, whilst germinating / as seedlings, and then when planted out they can be planted at the appropriate spacing. Guttering is very shallow, so would also only suit shallow rooting crops - you'll get a bit more depth, relative to the surface area of the container, in conventional "pots".

• WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
          +36
          I agree with Madahhlia, lettuce can work well using this method, especially the 'cut and come again' varieties.

Tomato seedlings are usually potted on, into 3-4 inch pots with their seed leaves at the surface of the compost. They make additional roots this way.

I think most root crops grow best when sown directly. Of course beetroot are quite often sown indoors, so give them a go ... what have you to lose.

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          How about strawberries? Not really a vegetable but I've seen it done elsewhere... I was going to give it a try but I think I might grow salads instead in my left over length of guttering.

[​IMG]

• Creative Creative x 1
          • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,089
            Lovely picket fence. Wish I had one. Those strawberries would need a heck of a lot of feeding and watering, though.

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
            Ratings:
            +3,225
            Not my picture I'm afraid Madahhilia . I robbed it off of pinterest. You could always use water saving crystals to aid the watering. I was going to try this but alas I think I would rather grow them in a pallet and grow some cut and come again salad leaves in the short bit of gutter I have.