Starve a mouse and cure it's diabetes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Phil A, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      I saw that. I was a bit surprised, because it's old news. I saw a documentary at least a year ago that showed similar results in humans.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Huff post is always diggin up old news stories when they got a slow news day :doh:

• Like Like x 1
        • clueless1

Ratings:
          +19,594
          It's not just them though. The BBC also reported it.

It will be all about funding. The documentary I saw featured that telly doctor that does all sorts of unorthodox research. He met with ordinary people with their own anecdotal evidence, as well as experts in various fields who did experiments with blood sugar and things over time and in response to different situations. Comprehensive enough to convince me, but probably not enough to convince any 'proper' scientists who feel it necessary to rerun the same experiments on mice to see if they get the same results as a solo doctor got when experimenting on actual volunteering humans.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Thing is, can people with diabetes go on a starvation diet or would it mess them up?

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +89,284
              Good morning @Zigs I am on a fasting and a very low Carb diet and exercise and it works ,but when you do it doesn't mean that you can go back to eating rubbish;) :blue thumb: you can reverse Diabetes but not if you follow the advice of the NHS who say you must eat carbs with every meal and advise Diabetics to eat the very things which gave them diabetes in the first place ie Rice,Potatoes,Bread,Cakes,pastry,some fruit:old: sorry I am going on a bit but its a subject that is close to my heart,The NHS in this country have absolutely no idea or refuse to back the low carb evidence which is right in front of them :dunno:

Now I know where all the mice have gone:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Informative Informative x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                So if we do the experiment with a owl, we can prove the nhs wrong :)

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,284
                  Morning @Zigs indeed we can my friend as long as the mice are are in prime condition;)

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • clueless1

Ratings:
                    +19,594
                    I once followed nhs diet advice for a few months. It climaxed with me very nearly dropping dead. Literally. I went in to the walk in with abdominal pain, got in, I remember getting an ecg setup up, and I remember hearing but not feeling the crash of me collapsing and smashing down onto the trolley. Turns out the NHS idea of a healthy diet is huge quantities of sugar and virtually no protein. That apparently is perfect for making stomach acid flow the wrong way and start digesting your liver.

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Informative Informative x 3
                    • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                      Ratings:
                      +6,543
                      It's not all about what you eat that gives you Diabetes (Type2) Genetics and where you were born in the world (Asian people are more prone to the disease but no one is sure why)plays a great part on in as well.

My eldest brother developed the condition (Type2) when he was 48 and was/is slim,did lots of exercise and watched what he ate but he still got it.He tried with the help from his wife to control it with diet but his figures remained high so he had to go on Insulin which then controlled it perfectly.Metformin hadn't been invented then which helps block the Insulin and since he went on Metformin he has been able to drop off some of the Insulin:yay:

You can still eat bread and rice but it is preferable that it is brown rice and granary type bread,potatoes can be eaten but they are better off being new spuds as they have less starch in them than old spuds.I still eat Blueberries,blackberries,strawberries,raspberries,grapes etc and you can still eat chocolate but the dark (80/90%)is preferable but I find the dark too bitter:yikes:

I can't see me being able to do the fasting diet for two days as I have to eat food when I take my meds or else they can have a nasty effect on my tummy if you get my drift and if I go too long without food I start to feel unwell and if I ignore it for any length of time then eat something then I feel awful for the rest of the day:sad:

They say that many people are vastly overweight with Type 2 have their Diabetes reversed if they have one of those gastric devices fitted (Endo Barrier)and then lose many stones in weight which is cheaper than all the medication they are been fed with:biggrin:

The powers that be also keep changing the goal posts so more people than ever are being diagnosed with the condition.Years ago if your levels were say 9% you were ok and not Diabetic then they dropped it to 7% and depending on where you live in the country it is even lower so no wonder more and more people are being diagnosed with the condition and it is costing millions of pounds to keep producing more and more medication.There is no incentive to find a cure when so many people are making a lot of money out of it:sad:

The fasting diet will possibly suit different individuals and it could well reverse their Diabetes but once you are diagnosed you will always be classed as a Diabetic despite getting down to prediabetic levels....:sad:

• Like Like x 1
                        Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
                      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +89,284
                        Good morning @Kandy my friend:smile: this is only my personal opinion but I have to with a lot of respect for you disagree about the Rice, Bread ,and potatoes;)

What a good post and very true my friend :smile::blue thumb::goodpost:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                          +28,996
                          After previous dog died I let things (diet/exercise) slip and in no time my sometimes high'ish levels were confirmed as Type 2 Diabetes. I immediately changed diet and lifestyle plus got Dog who wants to walk 10 miles a day, reduced weight to average BMI, and got my fitness back to previous levels.

And for nearly a year my blood test indices have been 'normal' despite ever decreasing medication (Metformin). I've always urged caution and continued testing before further reductions, but the way things are going it appears as if I'll soon be officially Diabetes and medication free.

• Like Like x 6
                          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +84,378
                            I've just been looking at this, What is a healthy, balanced diet for diabetes? - Diabetes UK

Cant say there is much there that actually constitutes food, mostly odd foreign stuff, apart from dry fried eggs:biggrin::biggrin:
                            Bit like dry boiled eggs I guess:biggrin:
                            Just seems crazy to me, carrot sticks and yoghurt? wonderful, I dont think:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

They also said, a couple of days ago, we should now eat 10 portions of fruit and veg a day, instead of the 5 that we were told before.
                            What are they on????

My Doc told me to double my dose of BP tablets very casually, like it would be ok????
                            I think we have some real problems with the so called health professionals in this country.

• Agree Agree x 4
                            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                              Ratings:
                              +89,284
                              Good afternoon @pete have a look at this one ;)

The energy I have now frightens me ;)Low carb high(80/100 carbs per day) fat diet was 38 waist now 36,I eat any meat,cheese,fish,sausages,bacon fresh fruit,porridge,all vegetables ,tomatoes,mushrooms and enjoy every meal and I have never felt so good,lost a stone and half and now have a 8 pack:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Diabetes.co.uk - the global diabetes community

• Like Like x 5
                              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                                +0
                                You'm not allowed two 4 packs, you'll fall out of your tree :yikes:

• Funny Funny x 2