1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

State OAP

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Helofadigger, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all just wondering if anyone could tell me what the state old age pension is for a married couple?

I friend of ours believes both he & his wife will each get £175 per week, this seems a little high as I'm sure when my father-in-law was alive together with his wife they only got about £160 for them both not each.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful.Hel.xxx.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hel in 2009-2010, the full basic State Pension is £95.25 a week for a single person and £152.30 a week for a couple who have both contributed, but your individual circumstances may affect the amount you get.
    It is £120.70 for a married couple on just the husbands contributions.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,139
    Hel, you can get your individual state pension forecast here: http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/state-pension/forecast/home.asp

I did it a couple of weeks ago for me and Mrs JWK. You have to register to use the online service and they sent me an activation code through the post, so its not instant. Now I've registered I can get my individual state pension forecast immediately. It does vary, like walnut says, depending on what you have paid for in the past. On top of the £95.25 on my forecast, I will get an extra 69p/week for Graduated Pension (whoopee!) plus a bit for SERPS. Also if you haven't paid full NI over the years you may not get the full pension. This online service will tell you that, and there may be an option to top up your NI contributions from previous years. According to the service my wife will also get £92.25/week - so together we should get around £200/week. However our forecast is based on us retiring in about 10 years time, so the rules may be differnet right now for married couples which is where walnuts figure comes from (simple it ain't!)

4. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have always paid and I have been told I won't get a state pension until I'm 62. I was born to late.:dh:
    Is it correct you get more as a couple living together both with full paid up stamps than a married couple. ?

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,139
    Lyn, yes the govt in its wisdom is aligning the pension ages of men and women. So ladies will no longer get the OAP at 60, its gradually changing to 65 (I wish they had done it the other way round and brought the retirement age down for men to 60 - no blinking chance!)

As far as I understand there should be no difference between living together vs married state pensions if both have fully paid up NI contributions.

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I'm looking forward to retiring when I get to 173 years old. That's how it will be if our government gets its way.

7. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Changing the subject slightly. In some countries ( I think Poland is one of them:scratch:), providing you have paid your contributions for a set(40) amount of years, you can retire then and get your pension. That sounds a far superior idea. You've done your life's graft and it gives you a bit longer to enjoy your last years. :)

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks guys for all your help sady our friend is going to be in quite a shock.
    I think he has been claiming sick for sometime (although I'm not sure how long) and I believe this will stop when he reaches pension age (?).

He has been told silly tells from others even one person who insisted that he had opted out of national insurance contributions altogether but this is not totally possible I mean surly he would have to pay some contributions even at a lower rate?

My goodness Bob and I are trying to ease this fellow's worry but it's all swings and roundabouts to us!:doh:Hel.xxx.

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,139
    Hel, it is possible to have gaps in your NI contributions for various reasons (unemployed, self-employed, employed but on a low wage, living abroad). He won’t be able to opt out of NI if he is working and being paid by an employer (they automatically deduct NI and tax via PAYE of course). But if your friend was self employed he could opt out. So it is possible to reach retirement age and NOT to have paid the full 30 years of NI stamp needed to get a full state pension.

Its possible to get NI credits when unemployed or for home responsibilities (looking after kids for example) – but the tax office needs to be informed of the situation – if you don’t tell them they won’t give the credits.

Its all quite complicated, I’d recommend your friend makes an appointment at a Citizens Advice Bureau, and makes sure they ask for an experienced adviser in NI.

10. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I was self employed for a while and had no option to opt out. In fact I was employed by a company and self employed in my own venture at the same time, so had to pay NI twice (once through the company I worked for and again directly to HM Customs and Revenue for my self employment).

As far as I know, the only way you can opt out of NI (or more specifically 'opt in' when you are not obliged to pay it) is if you are on an income that is below the tax threshold.

It is largely academic though if I understand correctly. You get a basic state pension, or if you haven't paid enough contributions it is, I believe, topped up with Income Support (or whatever it is called these days).

Instead of heresay, speculation, and uncertainty, perhaps it would be best to have a good read through this site:
    http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/State_Pensions/Entitlement/