Stephanotis - half flowered?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Charlie, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My Stephanotis which I bought with half of the flowers open and lots of unopened flowers never progressed beyond this point. The ones that were opened smelled lovely but after about 2 weeks the unopened ones started to go yellow and drop off, followed by the opened ones. It is still in the same pot, I kept it in a reasonably cool room with lots of natural light, I watered and fed it regularly. The leaves look very healthy and the plant strong but is there anything I could have done to have got the whole plant to flower and should it have lasted longer. Also what do I do now that it has flowered?

[ 10. June 2005, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Charlie ]

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,123
    :D Hi Charlie, Mine lives very happily in the conservatory. They like indirect sunlight min temps 17c in summer & about 13c in winter. They like a little humidity too. Do not let it dry out & keep just moist in winter. It likes a high potash feed. You need to keep feed & water regular for good bud formation. The fact that no more buds opened may be down to where you purchased it, they may not have looked after it properly. Good Luck :D :D

3. Charlie

Charlie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Marley, I've now gone and bought two more this time from a very good garden centre! Greedy! I'm going to feed them a bit more and try and keep them cooler.Again half the flowers are out so we'll see.
    Have you any ideas as to what I do once they have flowered?