1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sterling Moss dies after a long illness aged 90

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Victoria, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    A brilliant racer, a legend. I was brought up on motor racing at one point in my life in the early/mid 60s when my father owned a race team in the States. My first driving lessons were in a 1963 Jaquar Mk2 (British Racing Green). I spent most weekends on race tracks, Cherry Point NC, Daytona FL.

Strangely in the 80s I worked for a CEO in Tring who lived in Sterling's house, White Cloud, so spent many a day there.

RIP Sterling.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      :)

My Father raced with him ... late 40's or early 50's I suppose. I remember him telling a story that they were in the Steering Wheel (or some name like that) which was on a steep hill; it was Winter, the hill was sheet ice, and Sterling challenged everyone to drive away with no wheel spin. Sterling was the only one that managed it :) And the Mille Miglia - I remember watching a documentary where Sterling and his co driver were sat on kitchen chairs with a long roll of paper rehearsing the pace notes - Sterling's invention and not used before then I think? His co-driver gave him a wrong instruction to which Sterling replied "You've just killed us!"

• Informative Informative x 1