1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

still having problems with lleylandi

Discussion in 'Trees' started by maggie, Sep 1, 2005.

1. maggie

maggie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a lot of brown patches on my lleylandi hedge. Someone suggested it could be aphid attack. Has anyone experienced this and how do I get rid of them before they destroy the whole hedge. Also do they die with the cold weather (Winter). Many thanks for any help

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry Maggie, I have no idea - normally leylandii are very robust and I haven't heard of aphids giving them problems - the only other thing I can think of is that something is having a go or something is happening at the roots - but what????

Options could include water logging, vine weevil, dryness, fungus - (blind guessing sorry)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,994
    There are some aphids that do attack conifers, but they are usually easily identified as such, and can be sprayed quite easily if the trees are not too big.
    But as Fran says there's not usually much that bothers leylandii.
    If it is aphids they will become less obvious in the colder months, but probably return next year.

4. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, are the brown patches low, if so it could be due to a animal using it as their toilet.
    I had one and it was damaged by the above and had to be removed