1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

stinging nettles!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jelly belly, Aug 8, 2005.

1. jelly belly

jelly belly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all,
    i have recently moved into a lovely house but the garden is should we say a little wild!
    one of the biggest problems is in the back there are a lot of stinging nettles! some taller than my little boys! lol
    my problem is i am completly new to gardening and have no idea how to get rid of them?
    any help would be great
    thanks x :D

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    do not try to dig them out, cut them down leave to grow back a bit and spray with the strongest weedkiller you can get your hands on you may have to spray a few times but in the end they will die but it is good to leave a few as they are great for wildlife

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    As Brazil said, but :-

Go and get 'concentrated' Glyphosate , and dilute as reccomended then 'water' the nettles with the solution. You should notice the nettles starting to die off nicely within a week (leaves start to turn yellow), leave for around 3-4 weeks, and re-apply diluted glyphosate.

Make sure the glyphosate DOES NOT get on anything you want to keep ........ When it touches something green, it WILL kill it !!

Glyphosate is 'systemic' and will kill the whole plant, roots and all ;) .

Nathan.

4. lucys

lucys Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can i just ask why you cant just pull them out?

A friend (!) last year gave me some old horse manure and this year l have been plagued with stinging neetles, the damn roots travel for miles! but l have persevered trailing them back slowly and digging them up.

And i should have just sprayed them with weed killer!

Gosh l am going to learn a lot on this site [​IMG]

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lucys make some wine, before you kill them off, better spring time with new shoots, so don't kill all... lol

Ladybird

6. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I am just going to get rid of some nettles, I just spotted today, late comers or missed some in spring, I always use SBK.

Ladybird

7. lucys

lucys Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    wine yum!

I can cope with that ;)

8. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    True ..makes excellent white wine with lots of sultanas, orange and lemon slices, stewed.

Ladybird

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Add to that when soaked they are an excellent plant feed, similar to comfrey leaves being rich in nitrogen - and as I recall from "the good life" a dye for clothing as well.

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Great Fran if you can stand the stink. ;)