1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping junk mail

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Gay Gardener, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    It seems the junk mail has really stepped up recently, I mean the stuff delivered by Royal Mail (dfs sofa sale, pcworld, co op flyers etc etc) with your proper post. I don't take any notice of them and they seem just a terrible waste.

Has anyone gone through the stop RM junk mail delivery opt out? I found it here some info here Door-to-Door Opt-Out | Stop Junk Mail's Guide to Stamping Out Junk Mail after a bit of searching on the net.

Be interested to hear if it actually works before I go ahead.

Cheers

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,292
      I did not bother with the mail preference (easy to sift, provides fire lighting, and brown compost PLUS the posty gets a bonus for delivering junk mail)

I did use PPS it worked for about a year
      Now they are not selling me anything just a survey sir, I tried that twice and a salesman turned up the following week each time
      Now it is You have won a cruise/ holiday in Australia / motor home etc
      I am not daft enough to attend the reception, with a short company presentation for two hours to collect my PRIZE

So they appear to be getting around the PPS

PAPER I can deal with
      Constant calls make me ANGRY

Jack McH

• Poolcue

Poolcue Gardener

Ratings:
      +67
      The Mailing Preference Service won't cover leaflet deliveries,the postmen get extra money for delivering them from the companies concerned as do the Royal Mail.

• Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,978
      As Poolcue mentions the opt out from Mail Prerence Services (only applies to junk mail actually with an address on the outside) doesn't affect being delivered a lot of rubbish flyers delivered by the postman with your regular post.

I've used the mail preference before and it works (it takes a few months to kick in) but nothing until the link I mentioned in my original post that appears to stop the postman delivered treetreetreetree flyers.

Personally, I don't want trees cut down and ink used and energy used to produce and deliver rubbish to my door daily that I don;t want.

I'll register and see what happens.

Still welcome any comments from anyone who has tried this specific way to stop anonymous junk being delivered by the postman.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Mmm, junk mail, free heat:dbgrtmb:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,292
      You are not saving trees, the trash is ditched at the PO rather than delivered

Free brown stuff for the compost (Not really as if it is glossy and coloured the inks poison the plants) but shredded it keeps hammy the hamster warm or lights the fire for free

Jack McH

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +50,847
      This is not just a UK problem ... it is awful here. At our 'new' bought this year old cottage we not only get it in the mailbox but the flyers are stuffed in all nooks and crannies around the property .. grocery stores (Aldi, Lidl, Portuguese chains), household/electrical shops (Argos / Dixons / Currys ? equivalents), furniture shops .. you name it ... there can be as many as ten brochures a week .... :shocked::wallbang:

We have a post office box in a small town 6 kms from us which we pay €30 a year for and we are allowed to request 'no adviertising material' but strangely the odd one or two appear in the box? but must say usually politcal propaganda ... :scratch:

Must say .. great firelighters though in the winter ... :yess:

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,460
        I used to be happy to receive junk mail as it made good fire lighters but we got rid of our open fire 18 months ago.

Now I scribble 'return to sender' on them and drop them in the post box. It doesn't do much good but it makes me feel better. :heehee:

Even with 'return to sender' on it we don't get Elvis turning up :loll:

• Like Like x 1
        • gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
          +1,663
          I'm not so sure the Postie gets the money. Our guy would happily not deliver the Junk, but is forced to.
          It's one of the main money generators for Royal Mail, so they are unlikely to stop it.
          An idea - they could up the delivery rate. Treat it like real mail. That should reduce the dross.:stirpot:

• watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
          +549
          With regard to the postie we are all guilty. Saw a prog on TV so it must be true. The post office are taking on deliveries of "junk mail" so they can make money and have something to do.
          The P.O. quite rightly pointed out that since the advent of email and forums, people send considerably less letters, so ..................

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          Ah yes, but since the decline of letters we have had the ascent of Ebay!

I've spent more on postage in the last 5 years than in the whole of the rest of my life, and I can't be the only one. Bid today to keep Royal Mail afloat!

• Like Like x 1
          • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,089
            With regard to the telephone preference list, I was on it some years back and it worked well, but then calls started to creep back.

However, as soon as I mention that I'm on it (if I can cut through their sales spiel, and I'm getting fairly ruthless about that) they put the phone down PDQ with a mumbled apology.

Whatever happened to the loan offers - at one time I was getting 2 or 3 a week from Barclays, but they seem to have given up. I wonder why?

How I did enjoy stuffing them back into the Reply Paid envelope scrawled with invective about the evils of debt. Obviously the chairperson of Barclays was very impressed and won over by my moral homilies.

• chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,616
            my old neighbour used to collect them all then once every few months he would open them all and swop the contents around and pop a note in saying as you like junk mail so much i thought i would send you some, he said he knew they wouldnt care but it amused him to think of them opening the post to find other companies junk mail :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
            • Jack McHammocklashing

Ex Civil Serpent
              Ratings:
              +7,292
              madahhlia
              Ditto Ebay Amazon etc
              I too have paid more postage in the past five years than inthe past fifty years and I used to post a letter everyday for 22 years to my girl now wife when at sea, letters were only 3d then though :-) phone calls £1 per min booked three hours in advance

Jack McH