Storing bulbs help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by accidentalgardener, Mar 23, 2010.

1. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi one and all,

I have been given a load of bulbs but i want to save them for next year. They havent sprouted yet so will it be ok to store them in a bucket of sand in a dark cool place (under the stairs) until next spring?

Any advice will be gratefully received :D

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    should be ok......depends a little on what they are some bulbs dont like to be dormant for a full year ...most are ok. Be careful that you cool spot under the stairs may not be so cool in a heat wave in august. Id probably plant them now, even if there going in pots. unless for some practical reason that isnt possible.

3. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Plantman,

I've already planned a zillion bulbs and the pots are also full, i could buy more pots but they would be impracticle as the dogs would scuttle them if i put any more out.

Thanks for the heads up about the weather conditions as i hadnt thought of that :)

4. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi AG,lovely to see you and hope you are well:)

Do you know what sort of bulbs they are or do you have a photo of them please?

Depending on what bulbs they are if they are in their dried state then they will have an inbuilt programme that will cause them to shoot as and when it is their time to start the growing process.If you ever go to the garden centres when they have their bulbs for sale as time goes on any that are unsold will have started to send up their flower spikes and we have seen some of them push their way through the holes in the plastic bags they are that desperate to flower:D

We have had corms that have got missed and they have either done the above or the corms have withered away to practically nothing so had to get rid of them:(

If you can I would pot them up or plant them in the ground somwhere,anywhere so that you can enjoy the beauty of them or have them grow each year:)

Love the photos of the dogs at the top of the page:thmb:

5. accidentalgardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kandy :D

I think i will have to make the dogs play area smaller as i dont want to risk losing them. Itl be tough love cos they wont be amused :rofl:

xx

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Bulbs or corms.

I doubt whether your bulbs will last until next year without planting out. Check to see if they have any body - if not then its a waste of time. If they are firm you need to plant out now - even if its only temporarily for this year - large pots would be ok.

Are they crocosima - as these spread like weeds and are always being given away