1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Storm Proofing Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Barry79, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Barry79

Barry79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My Greenhouse took quite the battering from storm Barra with three panes broken. Many more panes popped out but thankfully I have toughened glass. My neighbours cut down a lot of their trees recently which has left me more exposed. I have a Vitavia Phoenix 14ft by 8ft.

I found a place selling bags containing 1000 W-clips so that's obviously a good investment. I noticed when it gusted that the whole side of the greenhouse facing the wind was pushed in, just enough to cause the clips around one pane to fail, with the glass then falling to the ground. Therefore clips are not enough in a more severe storm.
    What else can I do besides using clips? Would you recommend clear silicon all the way around each pane? Is there a strong clear tape that will stick well to glass that might work instead? My greenhouse model now comes with the option of Bar Capping which can be used instead of the clips. Does anyone have experience with this?

Any other tips? Is there anything you do specifically when a storm is approaching? I had put gaffer tape on a number of panes but the tape didn't stick as well as I had hoped.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,048
      Have you considered a wind break? I.e. nylon windbreak mesh that you string between posts, it slows down rather than stops the wind.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,048
        Maybe in the long term you can plant a hedge to form a natural wind break. I have a bamboo shield protecting mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Hi.

We found the 8ft west facing side of our greenhouse would feel quiet bendy when faced with strong winds but adding an extra horizonal piece of aluminium angle and one or two diagonal braces down onto the greenhouse floor * really made it feel solid and seems to have stood the test of time.

You could also add extra diagonal or horizonal braces to the other sides to make the whole frame stronger.

* We also connect the staging to the greenhouse frame to give it added support and weight.

000952.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
          • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
            Ratings:
            +4,539
            I have commercial greenhouses and I would not use silicon, to much hassle to repair when you get damaged glass. We don't use clips at all, except in the roof which prevents the glass sliding down into the gutter. We use something similar to a rubber gasket, this is profiled for commercial greenhouses, image below of how it looks. There is no screws or clips anywhere down the sides and its actually quite quiet inside even during gales.

rubber.jpg

For tape, I would use polytunnel repair tape, make sure the glass surface has been well cleaned, otherwise it will not stick. Another option, which I have seen people use on domestic greenhouses, anti hot spot tape. It is a foam tape normally used on the hoops of polytunnels, but if you stick it to the glazing bar before glazing, then when clipped it will give a tighter fit.

• Informative Informative x 3
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,636
              In my green house I don't use free standing staging, the staging is fixed to the ali framework on ali gallows brackets.
              It's surprising how a lot of pots stiffen up the framing.
              Mine is about 40+ years old so the ali sections are probably as thick as what a very expensive modern one would be.
              If it is a bit flimsy you could just fix staging with legs to the frame work.

As to holding in the glass it depends a bit on the section of the ali, I've replaced some of my glass with 10mm polycarbonate held in with timber beads. Don't see why that couldn't be applied to glass if the exposure is that great.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,609
                What are the clips made of? If they seem to give a tight hold until high winds hit and vibrate them out, perhaps you could try some rubbery type of glue on the glass side. Don't glue to the glass but let the glue dry to become a rubbery, non slip surface which would press against the glass surface to make it harder for the clips to shift?

I use a water based fabric glue that dries a bit harder than jelly candy. I've put it on the back of measuring instruments so that when I position them on my fabrics, the rubbery effect keeps them from sliding about and whilst I am pinning or whatever.

Just a thought...

• Like Like x 2
                  Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
                • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +5,089
                  Used some old alu shelving uprights in my 8x8. Used as diagonal brace on three sides.
                  Could also use tiling trim.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Fizzing Ada

Fizzing Ada Apprentice Gardener

Retired, artist/art tutor
                    Ratings:
                    +20
                    We had the same problem in storm Arwen, it bowed the bottom rail in on the long side (12 feet), but fortunately no glass broke. Next morning we found the door, which is on a runner, had blown open so the wind could have got in with disastrous consequences
                    . Next time a storm is predicted I'll wedge it with a brick.