1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

STOVES

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Alice, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Well , the temperature has taken a dip here this last few days.
    Same for nearly everybody - I think.
    My stove has been on.
    Anything anybody wants to say about stoves - love them, hate them, cost, work, anything ?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :gnthb: My Aga has been going for a few days now Alice... :yho: Just love it..!!! :D

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Put the wood burner on for a bath today, sun is just going over the horizon for heating the water. Still getting upto 49c on the roof, but to many thunderstorms to heat it proper today.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Despite the fact that its been working for 2 years now, i've got the plumbers coming round tommorow to check it & give it a certificate to keep building control happy.

Tell me to break a leg again :cry:

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :dh: Awww Zig.. Big Brother in a thin disguise again then... :doh::mad:

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I would love one of those wood burning pot bellied stoves...but the house is modern, open plan and has nowhere for one to go, let alone an outlet for the smoke. A friend in Ireland has one and when we came home from visiting her a couple of years back, we did investigate hte possiblity, having been much enamoured by it.

Next house perhaps. Enjoy the stove Alice :)

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,168
    Put on our Central Heating last Sunday - only because we had our baby Grand-daughter staying overnight and it did seem really cold in her bedroom in the morning. Since then we haven't used the heating, it seems to have warmed up again. Normally it's mid-October before we need it.

We were going to have a wood burner in our new extension, but were quoted £3,500 - £4,200 for one, so that's on hold until we win the lottery.

8. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Jings JWK, that seems an awful lot.

My daughter extended her house last year and had a wood burning stove put in.
    There was no chimney in that area of the house so she had to have a hearth and the chimney pipe put in. I'm sure it didn't cost anything like that but I'll check with her and let you know.

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,168
    Thanks Alice. We already have an open fire and I thought it would be a simple job just to fit a woodburner, but apparently we need a stainless steel flue liner, that means we need scaffolding so they can get onto the roof to fit it, plus a new cowl, it all adds up. We had a couple of quotes and searching on the internet I think thats about the going rate - hope you can prove me wrong.

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi JWK, I'm sure it all depends on roof height etc but when my daughter had hers done - single storey with no existing chimney so flue had to be put in I think the installation cost was about £1000. There was certainly no scaffolding involved. I'll talk to her and see if there is anything which might help.

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    Um, just wondering where you all get the wood for these stoves.:scratch:

Its a great idea if you have an endless supply but us stuck on housing estates just have to rely on gas or electric, which cost the earth these days.

12. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,168
    pete; I've saved quite a lot of wood over the last few years from chopping down two big apple trees, and I've kept about a dozen pallets and loads of offcuts from the house extension. There are always neighbours having trees trimmed and if you make yourself known they give you first refusal. Theres lots out there for free.

There are a couple of builders merchants in town who are happy for people to take away their old pallets for free.

13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Youngest son put in a wood burning stove in the house he now rents out. It's a Victorian terraced so had a big fireplace. It wasn't particularly difficult as there was already access to the chimney. his DIY skills have only been acquired from his dad, who can best be described as only an "average" DIYer.This was a few years ago, but the installation wasn't difficult, the stove came with a complete installation kit and it cost only a few hundred pounds.

A trip round the back of any superstore or DIY shed will reveal plenty of "non-returnable" pallets which they will only be glad to let you collect.

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,030
    Yeah but is it a viable proposition?

I think it surprising how much timber one of those things can burn in a season and without a good supply of timber its unlikely to be worth while.

I have a mate who has has had one for years, we are both joiners,( so he gets off cuts), plus he lives in the country so has access to grubbed out orchards, its a constant job for him to get enough timber to keep the thing going.

15. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to appear alarmist but if the flue is unlined & the (probably) lime mortar has been weakened by sulphates from the fire then you have a potential carbon monoxide leak which can (and has unfortunately) kill people in any room adjoining the flue.

I would seriously recommend an inspection by a heating engineer, who could also test for CO. He really doesn't want to take the risk if its tennanted.