1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

STrange fluffy growth

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Ivory, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Can any the rose experts tell me what this stuff is? It is growing one of the wild roses in our meadow. Actually it looks like it is part of the plant itself. Very strange.
    [​IMG]

2. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I know I had heard reports of some sort of fungus growing on some lawns that is making them look red. all because of the damp weather.

I wonder if this is something similar.

not saying is is, I'm no expert.

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have no idea. The plant looks prefectly healthy. There are just these fluff balls here and there looking funny and mysterious. May be it is just an eccentric rose, lol.

4. Lavender

Lavender Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    It's Robins Pincushion.
    They are caused by a gall wasp, the larvae will be developing inside the hard centre of the gall.
    Doesn't do any real harm, but looks quite fun!

5. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks!! That's really strange, and I had no idea. Thanks thanks!!!

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    What`s that one called when the acorns off an oak are mishapen?

7. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Probably the knopper gall but I'm not sure here's three of the most common found on oak trees http://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profiles0900/oak_galls.asp

PS: that rose gall is very pretty:thumb: just make sure you get rid of it before may or there all hatch (unless you like the gall alot?):D

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    When I first saw Ivorys picture of the red stuff I was reminded of the film "War of the Worlds" when the martians where seeding the planet with the red plant in a bid to take over the world.
    Robert

9. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know, Kalmia, what do you say? I looked it up, it seems to be some kind of tiny wasp. Is it going to hurt the plant? If not, it can stay. I have no problem with them, myself, and it's in the meadow, quite a wild ground. If it can hurt plants, it will go, of course. I am really undecided. It is a pretty thing as such.

10. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    :eek::eek::eek:

11. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Well if it's in the meadow (you own a whole meadow?:eek: blimey compared to that I own a slab of concrete with some fancy fencing...) then I presume you want to attract insects rather than kill them...most plants can live perfectly happy lives with galls take the oak tree for instance...

12. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

I wish!!! No 1) we only rent the place 2) we sort of share this meadow with the brother of the landlady, who occasionally lets his cows to graze here (which is fun). Well we only had the cows once this summer, and we could have the place to ourselves if we asked, but we have so much garden anyway, that the cows are welcome to a bit of it ;) But I like to keep an eye on all the plants during my walks of the ground, and I was really more curious than worried about the mysterious thing.I will let them be. Thanks again.

13. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

That`s nowt!

The Pennines belong to me!

Ivory, I think these little oddities are interesting and very pretty.

Kal, those pics aren`t quite right for the few I have come across in my garden, if I see any more, I`ll post a pic, and you can tell me then.

14. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Claire said
    only the east side Claire the west side is mine and Nuts.:D:D

15. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    That`s okay, there`s enough to go round, and having been up and down, over and across them many times in my old cross country days I couldn`t choose which side is the best to see them from anyway. I have been to many places and seen many beautiful things-(desperately wish to see Victoria Falls, the Grand Canyon and the Serengeti), but for me nothing can compare to the Moors and the Pennines on a frozen January morning. Who ever runs this ere place has been very generous to me.