Strawberries Junebearing vs Everbearing

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by totalwise, Jul 19, 2018.

1. totalwise

totalwise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi

I just realise almost all my strawberries are Junebearing. So we had an abundance of strawberries in June and none left.

The inital plants were bought from b&q. I was wondering why garden centres sell the Junebearing strawberries?

Is there a difference is sweetness/taste between the two.

I am considering getting rid of half of my Junebearers (utilised all the space) and buying in a batch of Everbearers (36 for £20).

I read online that everbearers are harder to grow for home gardeners and require a complicated setup. Any thoughts on these?

2. Mike77

Mike77 Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    A third of mine are Mara de Bois which are everbearing. Can't say I've noticed anything difficult about growing them. I planted them last year and got a good crop out of them in the first year. They had a good long season as well. Ideal if you want to be able to grab a few hand fulls every now and again. Would recommend.

3. totalwise

totalwise Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that. I read this article on the difficulty of evervearing: (link)

I realise now that it's a canadian source so their colder climates would make things very different to growing here.