1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jumanji, Jun 9, 2020.

1. jumanji

jumanji Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I have raised bedding at the back of my garden which has had strawberries since we moved in 3 years ago. This year they are not doing well. Lots of brown and dead ones and the ones that are flowering look a little tatty.

Do strawberries have a certain life span?

What advice would you have? Given that we are in June now can I rip up the existing ones and start from scratch?

2. Tim David

Tim David Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm not an expert, but I have been told that strawberries only really last 3 or 4 years before they become less productive and need replacing. Are there any runners coming off the starwberries that you could root rather than starting completely from scratch?

3. jumanji

jumanji Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for your reply Tim, last year there were runners and I managed to root them - I dont see that much evidence this year however.

4. Tim David

Tim David Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    You might still be able to get a few strawberry plants from your GC - I only picked up some a week/10 days ago. A couple already had ripe fruit on them which was a bonus. :yes:

5. Aberdeen_Gardener

Aberdeen_Gardener Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    I hope it's okay to tag another strawberry query onto this thread. I got some strawberry plants through the post from suttons last week. Two varieties and 12 plants of each. These are quite small and were all bunched together in an elastic band. I've split them and spaced them out in a long(ish) oblong pot. I "think" I can see signs of new leaf shoots growing already, but I guess I will have to wait till next year for them to bear fruit?

6. RobB

RobB Gardener

Ratings:
    +231
    There won't be any runners just yet, mine are still to turn red then they should produce runners. I've had them root in the lawn and repotted them.