1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberry plants (overwintering)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oakdaledave, Oct 6, 2010.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I have just removed my strawberry plants from their pots and planted into a raised bed. I'm just wondering now if I should remove the leaves or let them die naturaly? The plants have really good root systems but were becoming pot bound, so hopefully, they will thank me for their new home and give me lots of fruit next year!

Do I need to cover the plants if the weather becomes very cold again?

Thank you. Dave

2. Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
    +446
    I let them die down naturally then whip the rotting leaves away. Have never done it any differently. Have great success every year but would be interested to see what anyone else does.

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,708
    Yup, leave the leaves! Oddly, I've just come in from potting up my runners of the strawbs:)

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    This years' newly potted runners I'm going to leave in their pots, but only because I'm not sure where they're going to 'live'. Old/er plants just have to take whatever nature throws at them, the only TLC mine get are, like Axl's, having any rotting leaves removed. As I understand it, the leaves actually provide all the protection the plants need.

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    If I've taken runners I just overwinter them in their pots.
    The ones in the ground just look after themselves.
    Strawberries are the better of a winter. That's why homegrown strawberries taste so good. The ones in the supermarket have been grown in polytunnels and come out tasteless.

6. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I grow my strawberries in hanging baskets and just leave them to get on with it ,which they did last winter,

I will in the spring re plant them in the one basket as this was the 3rd summer for this particular one